CHAPTER FOURTEEN

Mr. Keating led the boys onto the field. Girls not being allowed to participate in sports, Azalea, Scarlett and their classmates sat in the shade of a large oak tree, novels and homework in hand.

"Ah, Ms. Armstrong. What are we reading today?" called their teacher, causing the blonde to look up from her book.

"Lord of the Flies, captain."

Cameron looked around nervously. That book was banned from Welton for being too rebellious. Their bold teacher did not seem to care.

"Very good, very good," he smiled. "I am aware you are not permitted to participate in sports, ladies, however, I require assistance. Miss DuBarry, will you come here?"

Charlie watched as Lilith set down The Catcher in the Rye and walked into the sun, hair glinting in the light. She grinned at him, eyes sparkling before accepting a box of paper slips from Mr. Keating.

"Just distribute those among the boys, if you please."

Lilith moved through the crowd, handing out papers as she saw fit. The last one she handed to Charlie, and their hands briefly touched as he accepted it.

"I saved this one for you," she said before walking away, back into the shade.

He glanced down at the paper.

To indeed be a god...

"Now, devotees may argue that one sport or game is inherently better than another. For me, sport is actually a chance for us to have other human beings push us to excel. I want you all to come over here and take a slip of paper and line up single file," Mr. Keating commanded.

The boys formed a crooked line, looking apprehensive.

"You know what to do, Pitts," their teacher called.

Pitts began to read, voice hesitant, and devoid of emotion.

"To struggle against great odds,

to meet enemies undaunted."

"Sounds to me like you're daunted. Say it like you're undaunted," Mr. Keating told him.

"To struggle against great odds,

to meet enemies undaunted!"

This time Pitts' heart was in it.

Two more boys read, each one reading with vigor then sending the soccer ball into the goal. Right when it was Meeks' turn, Music filled the air. Confused, he looked over to see a vinyl spinning.

"Come on Meeks! Listen to the music!" Keating yelled.

Azalea let out a whoop from where she sat, causing her boy to flush pink.

"To dance, clap hands, exalt, shout skip, roll on, float on."

The girls cheered as Meeks kicked the ball into the net.

Hopkins, a pompous, slightly moronic student, followed. He read monotonously, not enjoying the beauty of the words. Boos came from the girls' direction as he kicked the ball half-heartedly. He shot them a glare, and Scarlett responded with her sweetest, most poisonous smile.

Charlie's voice rang out across the field, confident and roarin.

"To indeed be a God!"

Another chorus of cheers sounded as he kicked the ball. The brunet bowed loftily, and sent Lilith a flirtatious wink.

-----------------------------------------

"Hey, Lili. What's up with you and Dalton?"

Cara, one of their fellow Henley girls, was looking at her with knowing eyes as the group walked in for dinner.

Before Lilith could answer, the group was stopped by Mr. Keating as they passed his office.

"Excuse me, ladies. Could I borrow Scarlett for a minute?"

The look in his eyes made the joke die in the blonde girl's throat.

"Sure."

She followed him into his office, fingers shaking slightly. Hard situations were not her forte.

"What's wrong?" she asked, hating the way her voice sounded. Weak.

"Scarlett, I'm so sorry. There's no other way to tell you."

He gestured to a chair and she fell into it, eyes wide. Mr. Keating had never seen his vibrant student so vulnerable, hands twisting in her lap, eyes darting all around the room.

"Your mother's dead."

A/N I'm gonna leave ya

hanging here on a cliff-

hanger sorryyyyy