EPILOGUE

a/n okay darlings here is a little clarification

the movie's plot ended the last chapter but!

i am adding this lil epilogue set at the end of the school year

so everyone can live happily ever after

The sun was shining brightly through the window as the poets finished their last exam of 1960. Mr. Keating strolled up and down the rows of students, keeping a careful eye on Charlie. Scarlett huffed loudly in displeasure and he internally chuckled, knowing exactly which question she had come across.

"Thirty minutes, ladies and gents."

Meeks and Azalea, already close to done, shrugged and continued scribbling furiously. Scarlett and Knox exchanged irritated looks and dutifully resumed writing.

"Well, that was fun," Pitts declared in the most sarcastic tone he could muster as the group left the room half an hour later.

"Yes, I loved the question about-"

"Sarcasm, Azalea. Sarcasm."

They laughed and headed to the dining hall, ready for a traditional Hell-ton lunch of mystery meat. 

"Final meeting tonight?" Neil asked in a low tone as everyone sat down. 

"Sadder words have never been spoken," Lilith smiled. "But yes, one last meeting of the Dead Poets Society, before the end of high school."

Lunch became a rather melancholy affair once the disbanding of their society was brought up. Even Cameron seemed slightly upset.  

Nighttime came and everyone snuck down to the cave, carrying poems and heavy hearts.

"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life! To put to rout all that was not life. And not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived..."

No one seemed to want to be the first to speak. They glanced around, eyes glistening slightly. The thought of never meeting again was unbearable.

"I'll go."

Todd let go of Neil's hand and  atook the book, leafing through it until he found what he was looking for.

"A Time to Talk by Robert Frost.

 When a friend calls to me from the road

And slows his horse to a meaning walk,

I don't stand still and look around

On all the hills I haven't hoped,

And shout from where I am, "What is it?"

No, not as there is a time to talk.

I thrust my hoe in the mellow ground,

Blade-end up and five feet tall,

And plod: I go up to the stone wall

For a friendly visit."

Soft applause resounded through the small space.

"Oh, for God's sake!"

Scarlett stood up, clearly quite mad.

"Stop moping around! It's not like we'll never see each other again. There is such thing as letters and phone calls and airplanes. Hell, we'll probably end up at some of the same schools with our Welton education. This isn't the last meeting of the Dead Poets."

She looked around at her friends and girlfriend, taking in their faces.

"Yes, we might be separated for a bit. But we can still make time to see each other. It doesn't have to be every week. If Meeks and Azalea go to Harvard, which they will, seeing as they're bloody geniuses, and Pitts goes to Yale, and Lilith goes to Oxford, so what? Things like this don't come and go."

She sat down, finished with her scolding.

"You're right, Scar," Camille spoke up from beside her, pressing a kiss to her cheek. 

"I know, thank you."

Charlie stood up, somehow holding yet more champagne.

"To the Dead Poets Society!"

a/n (again) sOOO! that is the end of We Are Golden!

i hope y'all enjoyed my poor attempt at fanfiction 

would it be fun if i added some bonus content to

this book? like headcanons, lil ship blurbs abt

meeksalea, dalberry and caneil, some of scarlett's poetry?

lemme know beautiful people

A/N 1/1/22

OKAY SO

the whole story has been edited to be gayer now

and I cant believe how much camlett i'd already written without

realizing it so yeah I'm gonna completely redo little bastards (the sequel) so that may take

a hot minute but thank for reading yall xxxx