CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

The hall was empty as Lilith slipped out of Scarlett's dorm, leaving Todd and Neil to calm the still-irritable girl down. She knocked quietly on Charlie's door. No answer.

"Nuwanda?"

Tentatively she pushed the door open and was relieved to see him sitting on the heater, staring out the window. He turned around as she entered, offering a small smile.

"I thought Cameron was knocking," he explained sheepishly.

"Nope, just me."

"Well, just you is more than enough."

Charlie slid off the heater and into her waiting arms. She held him tightly, chin resting on his broad shoulder. Sitting down on the bed, he reclined, head in her lap.

"What happened?"

"I'm supposed to turn everyone in, and all would be forgiven."

"So what are you gonna do?"

Charlie scoffed, voice void of humor.

"Hell if I know. You know, for once, I wanted to do something, to take control of my life. Turns out I can't even do that. Expect I'll get a letter from my parents tomorrow, blabbing about duty and the family honor and other bullshit."

Lilith began to run her fingers through his thick brown hair, causing him to sigh in contentment.

"For now," he continued, "I'm gonna sit right here with the most beautiful girl alive and fall asleep."

She smiled and bent to press a soft kiss to his lips. And they sat like that for a while, not caring about anyone or anything else.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The school quickly recovered from Charlie's outburst, and save for the fact that Scarlett and Cameron were no longer on speaking terms, everything went back to normal.

Knox recounted the events of Chet's party for them in embarrassing detail, making sure to leave out the part where said party thrower had threatened to kill him.

"Okay, no offense. But what the ruddy hell were you thinking?" Scarlett asked.

"I was drunk! I wasn't thinking!"

"Knoxious, darling. The first rule of drinking. Know. Your. Limit."

Their argument was cut off by the bell ringing. Shouting with excitement, Pitts led the group down to the dining hall, yelling about spaghetti and meatballs.

They passed Neil, who was returning from play rehearsal, on the stairs.

"Save some for me!" he grinned.

Todd was waiting at the top of the staircase.

"How was rehearsal?"

"Amazing, spectacular, you won't belie--"

He stopped abruptly at the sight of his father, sitting in the dorm room. Todd froze. This was not good.

"Father," Neil gulped.

"Neil. If you'll excuse us Mr. Anderson, I've got something to discuss with my son." His tone brooked no room for argument.

Todd looked at the boy he had grown to love. He nodded almost imperceptibly, forcing out a small smile. He backed slowly out of the room, then bolted down the stairs to the others.

"Neil's dad is here," he announced, out of breath.

"What?!"

Charlie rose, making to go up to Neil's dorm. Lilith pulled him down.

"I don't know what's happening but he looked fucking pissed."

Camille's eyes widened slightly. She had never expected that word to come out of Todd's mouth.

"And knowing Neil, he doesn't want us to bring it up, so do me a favor and forget I told you, okay? God, I'm starving."

He sat down and tore a chunk off his roll. Neil filled his mind, his frightened face, the fake smile. If his father took away his dreams, he might just steal Scarlett's lungs and lecture him.

"Spaghetti, Todd?"

"Wha- oh, yes please."

Todd found Neil after dinner, sitting in a well-hidden corner of the library. He held his script in one hand, but it was clear he wasn't rehearsing.

"Neil?"

He looked up, and Todd's heart broke at the sight of his glassy eyes. Without thinking, he pulled him into a hug, letting him cry into his sweater.

"S-sorry," he mumbled.

"It's okay," he soothed. "You want to tell me what happened?"

"My father's making me quit the play at Henley Hall."

"Oh, Neil."

"And I went to Keating, to ask him for advice, and he told me I needed to talk to him. Talk to my father! How am I supposed to do that?"

Todd pulled back slightly, looking him square in the eyes.

"Mr. Keating's right, Neil. You have to tell your father how you feel."

"He won't listen."

"Neil, if you never speak, how is anyone supposed to hear you?"

A/N okay todd is spitting FACTS at the end there but anyway pls enjoy the

dalberry fluff (is that a good ship name for charlie and lilith?? idk)

A/N

anderperry bitches