Demon Race 4: Contract

"S-submit?" The man asked reluctantly. He was a human and he had never submitted to anyone before.

"You don't agree?"

"No no no, I agree! I'll do as you say!"

Mason curled his lips after hearing that and a red mark appeared on the black robed man's forehead before it became invisible.

"Done. You can go back now. Tell Jayson that you managed to kill me."

"But my injuries..." he glanced at his wound ridden body.

"Oh, Make something up yourself." Mason waved his hand dismissively. The black robed man nodded his head and rushed to pick up his golden staff.

"Wait,"

The black robed man jerked and looked back with a What did I do now? expression. Mason bent down and snatched his golden staff. He peered closely at it and smirked.

"Looks like that Jayson treats you very well. He gave you the Veteran's soul staff." He said then proceeded to mercilessly pull out the orb floating on top of it. The black robed man watched his actions tearlessly.

"You can leave now." Mason held the glowing orb in his hand and turned away. He missed the expression on the black robed man's face, which was filled with agony. He stood up and made a beeline out of there. Everly watched the man, who was so domineering just moments ago, turn into a headless chicken after being beaten up by Mason.

"Now..." Mason turned to face Everly, with a smile that's wasn't a smile. Everly gulped when she saw his expression. She laughed nervously.

"Phew, that was a close call. Who knew that those people were brewing such schemes in the dark? It's good that we now know about it." Everly put a hand on her chin and ignored a certain someone's evil gaze.

Mason smiled and walked up to her until they were just an inch apart and looked down at her. With his tall physique, Everly couldn't even look past his shoulders. She stiffened and looked at him with wavering eyes.

"Why did you follow us?"

"Follow you? No, we just went a little off track. Who knew that we would see you here?" She shrugged and tried to coolly play it off. But unfortunately, she was facing the great god Mason and her little act was completely useless. He narrowed his eyes and gave her a sharp look. Everly ignored it and shamelessly continued.

"Oh well, you can say it was a lucky coincidence. I ended up saving you didn't I?" She said, reminding them that it was her that had broken the deadly barrier. Mason laughed in spite of his rage.

"Very brave of you!" He rubbed her head, a little too harshly, indicating to her that he was still angry. "But you wouldn't want to die while you are still at it, right?"

"Of course not..." Everly twirled her fingers and looked sideways. She sighed in relief inside when she saw that Mason wasn't going to flare out at her but she was smart enough to understand that he hadn't fallen for her lies. The two of them went silent.

Mason continued to look at her face, reflected against the moonlight. Her lips that were pursed tightly and those slightly watery eyes which were darting anywhere but his face. Her cheeks were soft looking and slightly tinted red. He almost wanted to touch them.

Crunch! Someone stepped on a twig.

They turned and saw Leese with a serious expression while Liz was looking between them with ambiguous eyes, not bothering to hide her excitement. Everly frowned in confusion before looking at Mason. She suddenly realised their proximity and hurriedly took two steps back, creating distance between them. Liz giggled after seeing that.