fourty-one

July 4th, 2020

"Surprise!"

The rooftop venue was suddenly lit to reveal dozens of people, balloons, banners, confetti and all of my closest friends. My hand flung to my mouth, tears welling in my eyes. I turned to hug Vienna, who told me we were meeting with Alyx and Blair to go out to dinner at my favorite Italian restaurant in the Upper East Side. Although I wouldn't be getting my favorite alfredo, this was more than I could have ever hoped for on my birthday.

So far, it hadn't been great. It had been 2 days since the argument I had with Timothée, and he was blowing up my phone with calls and messages telling me how sorry he was. I ignored them, not because I was angry, but because I thought it was for the best. I know what its like to say things out of anger, and I know that Timothée didn't mean the things he said, neither did I. I knew we both needed time to cool off, before making matters worse. Now, however, I wish he were here more than anything.

Familiar faces came up to greet me, many of them being some of our LA friends that I could not even fathom flew to New York just for me. I spotted Saorise in the crowdl, and I practically sprinted into her arms. I wasn't one to go all out for pretty much anything, especially my birthday, but it felt nice to feel so loved and appreciated by all of the people in my life.

Well, not all.

My twitter and Instagram had been blowing up with notifications, people wondering why Timothée hadn't posted anything dedicated to me. It gets exhausting having people speculate about your relationship online constantly, but they weren't wrong in their assumptions of our currently tumultuous relationship. I tried to push these thoughts away as I danced and sang with my friends and greeted everyone.

✰✰✰

An hour into the party, Blair made her way onto the small stage at the center of the large rooftop space.

"Okay, everyone! Tonight, on this fine fourth of July, we are gathered to celebrate the life of one of my best friends, Stella Ricci. I met Stella almost six years ago, and I never could have dreamed to accomplish the things we have accomplished together. I am so grateful for your friendship, and this is for you!" Suddenly, a white, three tiered cake was wheeled out by caterers, and the crowd erupted in a very messy rendition of "Happy Birthday". I awkwardly stood and smiled, because who honestly knows what to do when being serenaded?

As the song came to an end, Alyx yelled, "Make a wish!"I closed my eyes, blowing out the 24 candles.

As I opened my eyes and turned to face my friends, I was met with the familiar pair of piercing eyes that I fell in love with all those months ago.

"Happy birthday, Stel. " Timothée smiled. My mouth dropped, but the corners of my lips quickly upturned into a smile. I practically leaped into his arms, wrapping my arms around his neck, him placing his hands beneath my thighs to hold me up. The crowd had dispersed to their respective areas to give us privacy, leaving Timothée and I to ourselves next to the table.

"How- how the hell are you here? What-" He cut me off, laughing,

"I asked for the weekend off, I couldn't sleep or eat, let alone act, knowing that you were angry with me. That's why you haven't heard from me today, I was on the plane. I'm so fucking sorry for everything, Stella. You know I would never mean any of it. I just- this movie- its been so stressful and I just-" He slowly lowered me to the ground, placing his hands around my waist.

"Shhh, its okay, Timmy. I swear. I forgive you, I know how hard it must be for you, and I should have been more understanding." I said, snaking my arms around his neck, playing with the curls at the nape of his neck.

"No, Stella, you were amazing. Like you always are. I- I was just being an ass who was too afraid to be vulnerable with you, and I just- I'm sorry. I love you, so fucking much, baby." He said, attaching our lips. Our kiss was cut short as Vienna bounced over to us, camera in hand.

"Well, lovebirds, now that you have made up, smile for the camera! The fireworks are starting!" We looked up at the sky as a multitude of colored fireworks were shot into the sky. I smiled, this was always my favorite part of being born on Independence Day. It almost felt as if the colors in the sky were shining bright just for me. Nothing could top this, I was sure of it.

As more fireworks shot into the sky, Timothée pulled me in close, connecting our lips, while Vienna's camera took our photo.

This was my best birthday yet.

a/n: next chapter will be the last ❤️