72. Calling The Spirit

"What do you mean by that?" Emily asked looking confused. Why did Scarlett say that? And how does she know about our connections with the stone? Who is she? And what is she doing with her bag?

"Emily, haven't you seen the news? The spell had spread to the next three towns too, engulfing more and more houses every passing second."

"Three towns?!" John exclaimed.

"That's what the news says but the numbers can be higher. Only Skylar's and few other houses are left in this town and two towns have even been declared as corpse towns. Everyone is running away and going somewhere else but they don't know that they aren't safe anywhere - none of us are. The Government is asking the rest which are still alive to go to other towns but it is only a matter of time when they all will meet their demise - it's unavoidable. Scientists are clueless and I'm telling you, they will be. No one dares to enter the area which is affected. Not even the priests or anyone from the Church. It is too negative to even reverse it or do something to it." Scarlett said turning towards Emily.

"Wait a minute," Emily began going closer to Scarlett, "How do you know about the spell? And what do you know about the stone? And more importantly, how?"

Scarlett smiled. "I guess, Skylar did not tell you who I am."

Everyone looked at Skylar.

"What? Why are you all looking at me like that?" Skylar faced her sister and said, "What do you want me to say, sis? That you have some kind of power to talk to spirits?"

"You still don't believe me, Skylar, don't you?"

"It's not like that, Scarlett, I just do not see anyone or anything! Last night you sent me a photo of the house of your neighbor at night and said that she was in the room. And a few minutes after, you sent me another photo from afar circling something on the roof above their beds in which you captioned she isn't done yet. She is coming after more! Who was 'she'? And then you told me that she is becoming strong, having eaten so many souls and her target can be any house next and that I should better leave. Now I have zoomed so many times on that photograph and adjusted its brightness too, but I do not see anyone else in the room except two people - two normal humans."

Scarlett smiled and shook her head.

"Forget that," John said remembering the real reason both he and Emily had come there. "Why did you give me that box? And when I told Skylar that you were here, she said that it couldn't be possible as you lived 650 miles away."

Scarlett raised her eyebrow. "So many questions but little time to answer." She took a deep breath. "Whatever you saw yesterday night, it wasn't me,"

"Don't lie, Scarlett," John interrupted her, "I know what I saw and whom I saw - you! You are the same girl!"

"Let me finish," She said politely, "Evil can take many forms - your regrets, your fears, your unfulfilled or fulfilled wishes, your subconscious thoughts, or even something else."

"So, you mean to say that whomever John saw last night weren't you?" Emily asked.

Scarlett nodded. "It was her."

"Ok," Emily raised her hands. "you need to tell us who you really are! Like you came in the house and straight away said that John was the one who touched the stone - how did you know that and what did you know about the stone? And then you told me about the curse, like how do you even know about it? And if you weren't the one whom John saw last night and it was 'her', who was she and how do you know all this? And - "

"I can understand, Emily, " Scarlett said putting her hand back in her backpack like she was reaching for something. "You all have so many questions which you want answers to and trust me, I will but not at this moment. You will know everything soon but for now, we are running out of time. Come with me, I'll explain everything later."