Chapter 27-feelings

*1 week later*

(cancer, Layla is very weak right now, if this is too much for you to read about, skip to the end of the chapter.)

Leona's pov
"You know what, I never thought you'd actually get a septum piercing, and a nasal one," I confessed and twirled a piece of her now pink hair with my finger.

Layla chuckled weakly. "Yeah, like I'm gonna waste my last time on this earth."

I gave her a tight smile. "I can't believe you actually convinced me to dye my hair pink."

"I got you wrapped around my finger, don't I?" Layla chaffed. "Now you have to have get the piercings as well."

"Good try."

Layla sat up and poked me on the nose, causing it to scrunch up. "You'd look good in it."

"It looks cool but I'm not going through that pain, I'd rather get a fake one."

"Fucking pussy," she mumbled under her breath, loud enough for me to hear so I smacked her carefully on the arm.

A knock on the door could be heard. I assumed it was Julian, since he was getting some water for Layla.

"You don't have to knock, dingus," Layla attempted to yell but it didn't come out like she wanted it to.

He entered the room with a glass of water and sat down next to Layla. "Don't wanna ruin a beautiful sister moment."

Julian leaned in for a kiss and I faked gagged while running out of the room to give them some privacy. Mom was sitting on the couch with the TV on but her attention wasn't on it. Sighing, I plopped myself down next to her. The couch dipped slightly and this caught her to look over at me.

"Hey, honey," she greeted, not nearly as lively as she usually was.

I sensed her mood and nuzzled into her side, wrapping an arm around her torso. Mom pecked me on the head and ruffled my hair. She didn't say anything but I could tell she appreciated my presence.

We didn't say anything for a while, just enjoying each other's comfort and looked ahead at the TV. Dad was in the kitchen, cooking some lunch up. The pan sizzling, the low volume of the TV and our breathing was all that could be heard.

"Is she with Julian?" Mom asked and I hummed to confirm her question.

Mom shuffled and I sat up, quirking an eyebrow, and urging her to ask what she wanted to as I could tell by her look she was gonna ask a question.

"How are you?" Was her simple question. "I mean, outside of this, school and all. Are you dating anybody?"

I was taken aback by her question. It wasn't that we didn't talk about this stuff it had just been a while since we had.

"College is going okay, I'm trying to focus on my work. It's hard sometimes but I manage," I explained to her and leaned back against the couch.

"That's good. How about your dating life?"

I scoffed, "nonexistent."

"Has anybody caught your interest?" Mom questioned. I was hoping it wouldn't come to this.

Scratching the nape of my neck and fidgeting with my fingernails, I wished she'd believe my lie. "No."

Mom furrowed her eyebrows in thought and studied my expression. Was I red? Dear God, I better not have been red. She finally gave me a lopsided smile, indicating she'd figured out my lie.