Chapter 38-Together

Leona's Pov

"You're what?"

"Living in my car," she repeated.

"Why in the hell didn't you just come to me?" I exclaimed.

"Well, I'm here now, aren't I?"

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, yeah. You're welcome to my dorm at any time. I'm sure Zarah won't mind."

Zarah wasn't a fan of her old roommates, so since she loved my dorm and we'd become friends, somehow we managed to arrange so she could move in with me. It had been interesting, yet strange. I missed sharing a room with Freya. By the look on her face, I was guessing she did too.

"Is that allowed?" She asked, furrowing her eyebrows.

"Even if it isn't, no one cares," I convinced her.

"Okay. Are you sure? I don't want to be a burden."

"I'm sure," I reassured and gave her shoulder a light squeeze.

She nodded and followed me up to my dorm. Zarah was out at a party, which was probably for the best. I assumed she didn't want to talk to any more people. We entered my dorm and a sudden wave of embarrassment hit me at the mess. Homework was spread out all over the place. Clothes were scattered on the floor along with random items and the bed certainly wasn't made. My eyes dropped to my shoes and I picked at the laces of my sweatpants.

Freya seemed to notice and gently took my hand, giving it a light squeeze. "I get it."

I forced a smile. "I can clean up if you want to." Truthfully, I didn't know if I had the energy to

"It's fine, Leona. Really."

We sat down next to each other on the bed, sitting close enough so our knees grazed each other now and then. I wasn't sure what to say. Of course, I had a lot of questions, however I didn't want to burden her at the moment. It felt too soon.

Freya broke the silence. "Uhm, Leona?"

I hummed in response. "Do you want to talk about it?" She asked.

Without giving it a second thought, I shook my head. "I can't. It hurts too much."

She processed it for a moment, not uttering a word. Then out of nowhere, spoke up again. "You don't have to. I know it's fresh, but it might help. Like you said."

Sighing, I said, "okay. You're right."

"I, just. Layla-"I broke into an unexpected sob. "I'm sorry, Freya. I can't, I can't, I can't do it."

I kept repeating the words over and over again, not even noticing Freya calling out my name until she placed a hand on my back. Without thinking, I flinched away and cried. She muttered an apology. To assure her it was okay, I intertwined my shaky fingers with hers and practically buried my face in her shoulder. Loving the feel of just having her close.

"I hate this, I hate this," I cried.

"I know, it's okay. I'm here for you. You're not alone, Leona." As to prove her point, she pulled me in.

I love you. I wanted to say, of course, I didn't and kept quiet. Allowing myself to relax as much as I could. However, it was true. Over the past few months, I'd fallen for her. But I knew that even if there was the slightest chance she did like me back, neither of us was ready for a relationship yet.

"Hey, Leona."

"Yeah."

"I'm gay."