Chapter 16.3

I thought the week couldn't get any worse. I was wrong. My mom decided that it would be a stellar idea for us to have two dinners with the Hunters this week, one on Wednesday and our usual on Friday. I was quite confused by the news, and also a little stressed. She also asked me to invite Allyson, which was extremely unusual. I complied anyway but even Lucas thought something must have been up.

I opened the doors to invite the Hunter's in, except this time it was only Caleb and Jacqueline. Everly and Isaac were nowhere to be found. "Do you have any idea what's going on?" I whispered to Caleb.

"No, I thought you would," he replied.
We approached the table ready to take our usual seats. "Here, Lucas and Allyson, youAllyson you guys can sit there," Momma directed, pointing to the seat across from me instead of beside me.
"
But I always sit there," Lucas pointed to his regular seat.

Momma insisted that Lucas switch seating positions. She moved all of us around so that Jacqueline, Lucas, and Allyson were sitting on one side of the table with Caleb, me, and an empty seat on the other side. Momma took a seat at the chair at the end of the table. "This is really weird," Caleb spoke so only I would be able to hear.

"Tell me about it," I replied back.

Momma served everyone, including the extra empty seat that was beside me. I went to say something about it but she just waved me off. Lucas and I shared a questioning look. Something was definitely going on.

I looked to Caleb, "Where's Everly?"
He shrugged, "Mum left her at home with Dad. I don't know why she didn't come,"

I nodded slowly, trying to figure out what in the world was going on. Lucas and Allyson looked just as confused as I did. Momma took her seat at the table, "We have one more guest coming,"

"We guessed that. Who is it?" Lucas pried.

The doorbell rang. Our mysterious visitor must be here. "Lana, could you get that?" Momma requested.

I nodded and stood up. I nervously approached the door. I had a bad feeling about this. I hesitantly swung the door open. My jaw fell open as I saw the familiar figure standing at the door. I slammed the door in his face, forcefully turning the lock. "Lana! That was rude," my mother exclaimed.

I was fully aware that it was rude but there was no way I was letting him into the house. I pressed my back to the door as if to guard it. Allyson looked between me and the door. I waved her over. She gave everyone a modest smile before rushing over to me. I took a step away from the door and gestured to it. Allyson stepped forward. She unlocked the door. Her expression mirrored mine as she slammed the door in his face, "Allyson!" My mother scolded, "You're supposed to be the sweet one,"

Allyson shook her head furiously, "I am not sweet to him," she defended.

"Lanabeth, let him inside the house. He's our guest,"

I knew there was no point in arguing with my mother, but one could try, "I would rather not," I drew out, pursing my lips.

"I second that," Allyson added, raising her hand.

My mother gave me her 'I'm very disappointed in you' look. "Lanabeth," her voice was stern, "Let him in,"

I sighed and put one finger up, "Okay, one second,"

Allyson immediately rushed over to Lucas and grabbed onto his arm, preparing to calm him if need be. I grabbed a small Tupperware container and started collecting everyone's knives, "Is that really necessary, Lanabeth?"

"Yes!" Allyson and I agreed simultaneously.

I threw the lid on the container and chucked it under our freshly repaired sink, thanks to Caleb. Caleb grabbed my arm gently, "What's going on?"