Chapter 24

A/N

Celebrating 1k reads! 🥳 Thank you guys so much. Thank you for all the votes and comments. It means so much to me. ❤️ I hope you're liking the story so far.

____________________________________________________________________________

Patience didn't seem to be the strongest virtue of Ethan. Tired of waiting, he started to fidget after a point and then started to look for another way out. He inspected the cave and in the darkness found an undiscovered path that may lead to an easy escape or even greater adversity.

"Look, this could be our way out," Ethan said.

"Or... we could get lost in there." She said skeptically.

"You owe me this one."

Olivia nodded, thinking about the time he had trusted her while she made a decision. "Alright," she said.

She produced fire using her magic and the two stepped inside the cold, wet cave.

"We have been walking for long enough. Don't you think we should turn around and go back?" Olivia asked.

"It's been five minutes, Olivia. Just bear with it some more. I am sure we are close to the exit."

True to what he said when the two turned around a corner they could see the light coming from outside. They crossed the path that led to an exit in another direction. The rain had slowed down and eventually ceased completely.

Ethan felt extremely disappointed while they were on their way back home from an unsuccessful trip. His greed for becoming the alpha of his pack may have driven him in the beginning; however, he was starting to understand how insignificant his reasons were compared to the present ones.

After the storm passed, the sky cleared to display a brightly lit moon. The glittering moonlight lit up the path for them. As Ethan and Olivia were making their way back home, a pack of wolves was preparing to go to war with their neighbors; the pack that was now lead by Mico.

In close proximity, but not visible, Olivia and Ethan could only hear the sounds of their paws thumping, which were loud enough to raise someone from a deep slumber.

"What's that sound?" Olivia asked, carefully listening. She deviated from the path to go to the edge of the hill and look down from it. She was faintly able to see two wolves grappling with one another while the others watched in a circle. The fire illuminated the area for the spectators to watch the fight.

Ethan came to stand beside her to look at the scene. The fight between the wolves intensified with each passing minute until it reached a point where the opponents were potentially fatal threats to one another. The claws and canines and the deadly eyes were enough to scare Olivia. The fight had reached outside the circle marked by fire lamps and the wolves were now nearing the direction of the hill where Olivia and Ethan stood.

Mico walked in the thick woods alongside two of his underlings.