A Conclusion

The days leading up to the soft opening are the most I've ever worked in my life. Ferit does his best to handle most of Bulut's care so that I can focus, but I know he also has a huge burden on him as he attempts to unwind some of Hakan's sabatoge. Unfortunately, I don't even have the time to feel guilty.

It's a miracle that Emre and I have made it this far without any violence, but the night before the soft opening nearly ends in blood. Emre's normally anxious personality has only heightened and my patience for his constant worrying has evaporated. I have to stop myself from locking him into the nearest closet so that I can have some peace to think. The decisions that have to be made never seem to stop: waiter uniforms, table décor, drink list. It feels as though we will never be done.

Until, finally we are.

I've invited some of my friends and family along with some of Ferit's to test out our menu and our service the week before opening day. If anything goes wrong, we will at least have a little bit of time to adjust before we are really in business.

But, I'm nervous to fail in front of everyone I love and respect so as much as I want to approach this night as an inconsequential trial run, I am unable to relax. I can't have any of my friends poisoned at my restaurant.

I'll be in the kitchen all night, but I greet my guests as they walk in. Ferit and Bulut are the first to arrive and my sweet baby boy immediately demands that I pick him up, having missed me this past week. He's dressed in a little tux and bowtie and has never looked more adorable.

I give him a big kiss on the cheek as I bounce him on my hip. "Are you excited to eat my food, kid?"

"Yes!" He says with a smile throwing his hands in the air. His happiness eases my nerves. At least I know I cannot disappoint him.

Ferit leans in to kiss me, wishing me good luck, and then grabs Bulut from my arms to take their seat. I watch him walk away, taking a moment to appreciate how well-fitted the suit he is wearing is.

Yasmin and Ozan arrive at almost the same time and appear to be in a battle to see who can be more enthusiastic. My aunt wishes me good luck in her usual, serious way, reminding me of how proud my parents would be. I smile at her thoughtfulness, grateful for her presence as I always am.

Laila greets me with a big hug which I hold for a while, celebrating this moment with her. I finally release her and try to push my emotions back down. As always, big moments are slightly sad.

I've seated Ferit and Bulut at a table with his old college roommate, Jeremy. Laila and her fiancé are with my aunt and some cousins. And my friends and their respective dates are each at their own tables. It's strange to see the place filled with patrons after only seeing it empty for so long.

When all the guests seem settled, I make a short speech thanking them for their time and head into the kitchen. Soon the orders start coming and the chaos begins. Now, I am in my element. No time to think, only do. I've worked in kitchens for enough years to turn on auto-pilot, commanding my staff expertly. It's so much more fun now that I have control over every dish that goes out the door and with every passing moment, my confidence grows. I'm certain we are nailing it.

We have set up an anonymous review process to try to encourage the people in my life to be as brutal as they can. But, in the end, it's mostly a success, save a few kinks that we can easily work out. I am so proud of myself I could walk on air.

The night flows into a party to celebrate. Deniz and her band take the stage after we clear the tables to make room for a small dance floor. A bartender appears to helm the bar and I emerge out of the kitchen, dressed to the nines.