A Rude Awakening

I drop by Ferit's office building the next day with every intention of hearing him out with an open mind. He had surprised me at my home so I felt it was only fair to repay the favor.

The lobby is impressive, quintessential Chicago, art deco style with high ceilings, green terra cotta, and gold accents. I walk up to the receptionist and let her know I am here to see Mr. Ferit Aslan. She looks at me skeptically, taking in my casual dress and uncontrolled curls with a furrowed brow, but pages Ferit's office.

"He'll be a few minutes," she tells me, gesturing to where I can take a seat to wait for him. While I'm waiting, I respond to my sister, making plans to have dinner to celebrate her engagement, just us.

Ferit's secretary arrives to usher me back towards his office. She's a middle aged, very stern looking woman. I wouldn't want to get on her bad side. Though the way she is throwing me judgmental looks, I feel like I already am.

"Mr. Aslan, your drop-in." the woman announces after opening the door to Ferit's office. Ah, I guess I messed up her schedule. Now, I feel a little guilty for not calling ahead.

I nod at her in gratitude, trying to be polite despite her annoyance with me. Ferit is at his desk, wearing the classic business man uniform: white shirt, black suit, black tie. I look around the office to try to distract myself from how delectable he looks. He has reading glasses on today which only makes him more attractive.

The office is sparsely decorated with a few pictures of Bulut and the entire family, but not many other personal effects. His desk is large and imposing and the sofas on the other side of the office are no more inviting. I imagine he's not doing a lot of friendly entertaining in this office.

"I'm sorry, I should have scheduled a meeting." I say, settling into one of the chairs in front of his desk.

I sense that he is not entirely happy with my spontaneity, but is trying to be accommodating out of politeness. "Don't worry. Are you ready to sign?"

A surprised chuckle escapes me at his certainty that I am here to say yes. I suppose I should have expected that. "Well, I have some questions."

"Okay." He says tightly. There are no signs of the kindness and warmth I've seen from him in previous encounters. I feel embarrassed that I waltzed in here as if we knew each other.

"I can come back, if now is not a good time..."

"No, you're here now. What are your questions." He folds his hands against stomach, leaning back in his chair.

"Well...how would our partnership work?" He's given me no details at all, so that feels like a good place to start.

"Right, well the contract isn't ready yet, but I will certainly send that to you when it's drafted. Essentially we will split the costs, 50/50, though I am of course willing to lend you additional money if the initial investment is too much, and I'll have to approve any decisions you make—"

"What?" I hadn't anticipated having to run my choices by him.

He sits up, rummaging through some papers on his desk. "You know, before you do anything major. I'll have to approve location, menu, concept, things like that."

He finds what he's looking for, and hands it to me. "Here. This has some more details."

I take the paper, but don't look away from him, still trying to understand. I know I should have expected he wouldn't just give me his money and leave me alone, but I don't want a repeat of the situation I just left. I want to do this on my own.

"I'm sorry, Ferit. I don't think this will work. Thanks for your time." I stand to leave.

He frowns. "Are you serious?"