Party Time

Unfortunately, Ozan and I do not have the luxury of wallowing in our hangover. My little sister is getting engaged today.

The plan is to gather in the backyard of the lake house Nate has rented about an hour and a half north of the city. Laila and Nate have spent the last few days at the house on a weekend trip to celebrate their fifth year anniversary. Today, Nate is to drag an unsuspecting Laila out for a long walk along the lake to propose at their special spot where a photographer will be waiting for them. The proposal location is several miles away from the house, giving us plenty of time to set up for the party and usher guests inside.

My run-in with Ferit and general state of disrepair has Ozan and I running a few minutes late, but luckily Yasmin has everything under control when we arrive. Her expertise as a house manager has translated nicely into Party Planner Extraordinaire.

When we arrive, Yasmin is in the middle of directing some workers in the set up of small tables around the yard. My phone pings with a text from Deniz, Zeynep's sister-in-law, letting me know her band and her are nearly there.

Yasmin waves me over as she sees me enter the yard. "Girl, are you alright?" she asked, concerned, last night apparently still on her mind.

"Yeah, yeah," I answer, "don't worry. We can discuss that later. The band just texted – they are on their way. Any progress on the sound stage?"

She nods, pointing at another set of workers carrying some speakers across the lawn. "They're on it." I leave her to it, walking over to the buffet table to discuss the plan with the waitstaff. I do a quick taste test of a few dishes, satisfied that they are up to par. Ozan joins me to give me an update on the bar.

"They don't have champagne." He tells me, flummoxed.

"What?" I ask in disbelief. How can a bartender not bring champagne to an engagement party?

"They say that champagne wasn't requested, so they don't have it." He shrugs, matter-of-factly. Ozan has never met a problem he felt compelled to solve.

"That doesn't seem like an issue to you?" I ask, raising my eyebrow. It's not a huge reason to panic, but I want this day to be perfect for Laila. Champagne is one of the few things she will actually drink.

"It doesn't seem ideal." He offers, now deliberately trying to provoke me. He immediately back pedals when I shoot him a murderous glare. "Okay!" He exclaims laughing, backing up with his hands up. "I'm on it." I shake my head as he walks away to go buy some champagne somewhere in Middle of Nowhere Lake Town, Wisconsin.

The sound of my aunt arriving distracts me from my pique. "Sejal?" she calls, a stack of tupperware in her arms. Oh boy, didn't I tell her this was catered?

"Over here, Phuphi. What is all this?" I ask, gesturing at the precarious tower she is holding.

My cousin, Zara, is following behind her, holding a bag that presumably contains more food. "I tried to stop her." She tells me, shaking her head in amused exasperation.

"I just wanted to make some of Laila's favorite things!" Phuphi explains. I smile, unable to be upset with that.

"Aw, thank you Phuphi. Your food is the best anyway." She blushes, pleased at this compliment. "Let's go give it to the waitstaff and see if they can set it up on the table." I suggest, taking some of the containers out of her hands.

As we are setting up the food, more people arrive. Soon, the yard is filled with two dozen friends and family members. Deniz and her band have also arrived and are setting up on the stage Yasmin had prepared.

"Everything looks perfect," I compliment Yasmin, stepping up next to her. She beams, proud of herself. She's as happy as I am for Laila and always excited to get the chance to play big sister.