The Hits Keep Coming

I spend the weekend in motion, refusing to slow down to drown in heartbreak. Between dress shopping with Laila, drinks with Yasmin, and hiking with Ozan, there is barely any time to think. My friends can see what I am doing, but they graciously choose not to comment.

On Monday morning, I get a call from someone who identifies himself as Emre, no last name apparently, letting me know that he is going to be working with me to open the restaurant on Mr. Aslan's behalf. While I am relieved that Ferit still plans on moving forward with our partnership and excited to start making progress, it's a bit irritating that I didn't get a say in Emre's hiring. But calling Ferit is out of the question.

Emre and I meet later that day to discuss our plan forward. He is a skinny, short, very tightly wound man. In contrast to my complete lack of preparedness, he brings a very detailed list of tasks to our meeting and hands me a copy that is helpfully color coded. I try not to roll my eyes.

Our first priority is to settle on a location so Emre hands me a binder of options he has already pulled. I cannot believe how much work this man has already completed. As intense as I find him, I have to admit Ferit did a good thing hiring him.

I have not spoken to Ferit since the day of the hearing. That was the last day I saw Bulut as well. The memory of his tear stained cheeks still tears me apart.

I am anxious to know how my baby is doing in his new environment. Deniz has assured me that we can go visit him after Bulut settles in and I try to wait patiently for that day to arrive, knowing I don't have much choice in the matter.

But, Bulut is much sneakier than I. Tired of waiting for me to show up, he calls me one day to invite me to his school field trip. He openly admits he hasn't informed his aunt and begs me to come instead. I know indulging his schemes is probably a bad idea, but I am desperate to see my sweet baby boy.

I head to the aquarium and wander around, trying to find the spot Bulut told me his class was meeting at. I'm nearly there when the sight of a familiar set of broad shoulders stops me in my tracks.

Ferit.

Bulut is next to him, the two of them are enjoying themselves in front of the fish tank. This kid is apparently slyer than I thought. He must have used the same trick on his uncle.

I contemplate running for the hills, but decide to be braver. Ferit's anger is not going to stop me from seeing Bulut. The boy turns around as I approach and immediately starts jumping up and down in excitement. "Sejal Auntie!"

Ferit turns at the mention of my name to see me walking towards them. I only allow myself a second to take him in before turning my attention to Bulut. His body looks tense, but his expression reveals nothing. Today's suit is light grey, making his eyes look even brighter than usual.

"Ah my sweet baby boy. Come here!" I reach down to grab Bulut, pulling his little body up into a tight hug. "How are you kid? I've missed you." I pepper his face with kisses and he shrieks in delight.

He starts blathering on about everything that has happened to him since I last saw him as I put him down and grab his hand. I glance quickly at Ferit again. He's just watching us, eyes blank.

Eventually Bulut's teacher interrupts his monologue, calling the class over to learn about stingrays. Bulut releases my hand and runs over to join his class, curls bouncing wildly. I smile and turn to Ferit. "I'm happy to see him like this again." He nods, agreeing. It seems like some of Bulut's pain-fueled anger has dissipated.

I feel compelled to explain my presence. "I'm sorry. I didn't know you were here."

He just shrugs mechanically, as if my whereabouts could not matter less to him. "Seems like we both fell into Bulut's trap."