Finally

"Bulut, I swear to God, if you don't finish your plate, no TV for a week!" I yell, chasing after the kid with a fork full of broccoli. He has ignored almost all of his vegetables and is now doing his best to escape my wrath.

Suddenly, an arm snakes around my waist and drags me into a hard chest, causing me to squeal in surprise. I looked behind to find a damp and adorable Ferit, fresh from the shower. He reaches over to eat the broccoli in my hand, humming his appreciation in my ear.

Bulut smiles at the scene, jumping up and down. "Thank you, Dayi! You can have all my vegetables. That way—that way, we won't waste Sejal Auntie!"

I roll my eyes at his deviousness. As if waste was the problem. "Ferit, this kid needs nutrition. Can you help, please."

Ferit kisses me on the cheek before releasing me. With Bulut's arrival, our game has entered into our home, Ferit's dedication to the ruse remaining impossibly steadfast. He has turned out to be a very tactile and affectionate fake husband so I am constantly at my wit's end, trying to remind myself that it is all an act. I rub my cheek, the feel of his beard against me lingering.

He grabs Bulut and places him on the coffee table, taking a seat in front of him. "Bulut, you have to listen to Sejal Yenge." Ferit says sternly. I smirk a little smugly, thankful for the backup, and take a seat next to Ferit.

"But, I'm not hungry!" Bulut pouts, still trying to squirm his way out of eating his vegetables.

Ferit sighs. Happy that I no longer have to fight the battle, I amuse myself watching the two of them. But, Ferit melts unexpectedly. "Okay, fine. Tonight is a special night – your first with us." Bulut celebrates his victory with more bouncing. "But, from tomorrow, everything is as we say, okay? You eat what you should, you do your homework, and you sleep on time. Okay? Deal?"

Bulut moans, deflated. "Sejal Auntie!" He whines, hoping I'll spare him from his strict uncle.

I put my hands up in the air. "Don't look at me kid. Those are the rules."

Bulut groans, but then an idea comes to him. "Tonight is what I want then." He declares like a master negotiator. I roll my eyes as Ferit chuckles.

"Fine, aslan benim. What do you want to do?"

"Movie!" Bulut exclaims, running to the kitchen. "Sejal Auntie, where is the popcorn?"

I shake my head at how quickly this situation has gotten out of our control and head to the kitchen to get our baby what he wants.

"Sejal Yenge, Bulut!" Ferit calls after us. "She's your aunt now."

The truth of that hits me with staggering force. I watch Bulut running around the kitchen and realize he is my nephew now. Officially and legally my family. It's strange to realize I suddenly have a claim to him. I'm not just his mother's friend. He's my nephew.

"Alright, kid. What do we have here." I say, searching the cabinets while Bulut watches me excitedly.

We return to the living room after gathering almost everything unhealthy in Ferit's kitchen, which is unfortunately not much. A problem I intend to rectify immediately if I am to live here for any amount of time.

We all snuggle in on the couch, Bulut in between us. He insists we put on a cartoon he's watched a million times, but he's still somehow immediately entranced, pointing out all the characters as if he is seeing his friends again after a long time. I just smile, happy to see him happy. I hope he was able to be this carefree at Demet's house, but I'm not sure if that was the case. What a relief that phase is over.

I can feel Ferit's eyes flicker to me every so often as we watch the movie, but I keep my focus on Bulut and the TV. Tonight is going to be our first night sharing his room and I am already dreading it. It would be one thing if we were still friendly, but I'm still angry and frustrated and I never know what he's thinking.