➵ VII. Flawless Suspicion

Tuesday, December 19th, 2017, 8:00am

***Flawless - Beyoncé

Asher's POV

"Congrats, Denny," Scott says, grinning. "Finally found your mate."

Raiden nods, smiling."Yeah... She's beautiful, I'm glad I waited... And Rei's back too. Dad wants to see her, we have to make time for that..."

"What is it?" I ask, concerned at his thinking expression.

"I don't trust them," Raiden murmurs, thinking. "And it's not just because we don't know them real well. They're hiding something."

"What makes you think that?" Dean asks.

"They just have this dangerous air," Raiden replies. "Like they're always on guard and observing everything around them. I just get this feeling that they're a lot more dangerous than we think, even Rei. She's not the same. I never expected her to be, no, but I didn't think she'd be so... cold-seeming."

"They are rogues," I say pointedly. "But they seem like no genuine threat. Zaine seems like a great guy and so does Killian."

"And Clove," Raiden adds with a dreamy-ish smile. "The younger twins, Chase and Rhea, they're too young to be a threat, right?"

I nod in agreement. "So innocent until proven guilty?"

"Sounds good," Scott says.

Dean and Raiden agree.

Raiden scowls slightly. "Come on, we should probably get ready for school."

"I don't wanna go," I whine.

"You can see Rei," Scott says.

I groan. "I hate how that's enough motivation. Fine, fine. Let's go."

Rei's POV

You made a good choice, Lyria's voice echoes in my head.

You really think so? I ask.

Going back and giving Asher another chance will be one of the best decisions you've ever made, she replies. I can see it.

I feel a push in my mind, another spirit wanting to talk to me. I can tell it's Leon, Asher's dad, the man who abused me not just to keep his affair a secret but because he enjoyed hitting me. I ignore the push and block him out. Why should I talk to him at all?

Rei, Lyria says. Thank you, for taking care of my family.

I should be thanking you all for taking care of me, I reply. You took me in, a complete stranger. You saved me.

A sudden and sharp stab of pain hits me, making me hiss. Damn, I can't keep the connection much longer.

This is the end of this conversation, for now, Lyria says. I'll talk to you again soon, Rei.

Bye Lyria, I whisper.

I feel her presence fade from my mind and stop using my power. A small smile plays on my lips as I stare up at the bedroom ceiling. I barely knew Lyria when she lived yet talking with her always makes me smile. There's just a calming feeling about her and her voice.

"Reina!" Killian's voice shots from downstairs. "You coming or what?! We can and will leave without you!"

I smile fondly and get up, grabbing my bag and heading down the steps. Chase and Rhea were picked up by a pack caretaker half an hour ago. Killian, Clove and Zaine, who's in his normal male form, are waiting for me by the front door.