➵ XI. The Revealing

Friday, December 22nd, 2018, 7:00am

Dollhouse - Melanie Martinez

Rei's POV

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Clove asks.

"I... I'm sure," I reply. "I want to give Asher a second chance and I don't want him to hold me with that past image of me."

Zaine smiles. "I'm proud of you, Reina. It can take a lot to face a bad past... I should know."

He looks down and mumbles the last part under his breath but I still hear him.

"Your past is in the past and that's where it's staying," I say with a tone of finality. "We're not letting you get abused or bullied again."

"Amen to that," Killian says loudly, raising his glass of water like it's a toast.

My eyes narrow when I spot a slight grimace cross Zaine's face before it's gone. "What is it?"

Zaine looks up at me. "Just bad memories."

Slowly, I nod, seeing the sincerity in his eyes but something's telling me that's just not it, that he's not telling us something. Killian seems to notice this too but he doesn't comment on it, deciding to wait until Zaine wants to tell on his own. Killian wraps his arms around Zaine, kissing his forehead gently. Zaine smiles, hugging Killian back and resting his head on his boyfriend's shoulder, ignoring the fact that Killian has started a game of kicking Clove's legs under the table and she's fighting back.

"Can we go now?" Rhea asks.

"Yeah, let's go!" Chase adds.

"We go whenever Strange's ready," I say. "Well, whenever she's done playing footsie with Flash."

Clove grins and gives Killian one last kick in the shin before she nods at me and the twins. "OK, let's go. I'll be the mature sibling and end it."

"Mature," Killian mocks. "Look, she's definitely not the one who chased me around the backyard just this morning!"

Clove scowls, whacking her brother upside the head, "You're the one who stole my manga. Again."

"She has a point," Zaine says pointedly. "Manga stealing is the highest of crimes."

Killian whines at being outnumbered, pulling his arm from around Zaine's shoulder and instead folding his arms across his chest, pouting like a child. Zaine chuckles softly, leaning in to place a soft kiss to Killian cheek only for Killian to move his head away.

"I don't accept kisses from meanies," he says, turning his nose up. "At least Reina is nice to me."

"Aw, love you too, Flash," I say with a smile.

Killian grins, bounding over to wrap his arms around me from behind, his head on my shoulder. He places a quick kiss to my cheek before sticking his tongue out at Zaine as the shapeshifter rolls his eyes.

"Get back here, Flash," Zaine says, "They're leaving, you can see your new girlfriend later."

Killian pouts but lets me go before overdramatically dragging his feet back to Zaine. I roll my eyes as Clove, Chase, Rhea and I put on our coats and boots and head outside, closing the door behind us. Chase and Rhea walk in front of Clove and I, giggling and stomping in the snow. Clove and I hold hands as we walk, talking and laughing together.

"Y'know Reina," Clove says, "Maybe you could mind-link your dad so he goes to the pack house now and we don't have to ask Asher to do it when we get there and wait."