2. A Way Out

"You don't run away from problems, you run towards solutions."― Obert Skye, Magic Required 

William was fuming inside. He was on his way to his office chamber when he stopped in front of the President's office. He couldn't believe he came so close to achieving his dream and then it slipped from his hand. Being the Vice-President he wouldn't hold any significant power, he will merely be a spectacle. Somehow, this felt worse than being a party member.

He peered into the office through the cracked open door. He had seen this hall many times. It was nothing fancy, opposite that, it was very simple, with minimal decoration but it always felt to him more like a gem on the crown.

"My Lord," Someone addressed him bringing him back to reality.

"Yes," He spoke.

"Lord Caldwell is asking you in his office, my lord," The boy spoke. William sighed, attempting to shed the rage inside him, he followed the boy to Lord Caldwell's office. Lord Caldwell was one of the five council members along with Mr Stevenson. He never liked him much and blatantly ignored him in the past. But with the position he was in now he had to swallow up his pride.

The boy knocked on the door, entering before him to announce his presence.

"Lord Warwick," Lord Caldwell said with fake enthusiasm. He was a superior and William was supposed to bow to show respect but their station in society differed while Willaim was a duke of Warwick Lord Caldwell was the Earl of Eldon and he will be damned if he ever bowed to this man.

"Whiskey?" Lord Caldwell asked.

"No, thank you," William replied curtly, but that didn't affect Lord Caldwell even a bit.

"Well, I must say it was quite unfortunate for you to lose the presidency of the party," He said sipping over his whiskey, his face back to normal. William balled his fist. He was never a violent person but everyone was getting on his nerves today.

"It is unfortunate," William replied stressing each word.

"The man of your talent and dedication I am sure you will be the next President," Lord Caldwell said, "but it might take a very long time than you anticipate, don't you think, Lord Warwick? I mean next President will only be chosen when the current one retires or something tragic happens to them."

Lord Caldwell laughed at his own tasteless joke. William stood rigid.

William understood this man's disposition to get things done by hook or crook. While this was the way of the world, he never wished to hurt anyone severely, that is.

"Even if we become the President or not, it won't diminish the work we all do for the party. In the end, we are all here to serve," William said calmly.

"Indeed," Lord Caldwell continued, "But the glory always goes to the one sitting on the throne and everything else is insignificant and expendable. "

"Fortunately, none of us will ever sit on The Throne," William said arrogantly sitting down on the settee, with confidence in his stance daring Lord Caldwell to continue the conversation.

"But one can sit in front of the throne with the same power," Lord Caldwell continued with an evil smile.

"What do you mean?" William asked curiously, it can't be what he thinks it is.

"There is no rule stating only the party president can be nominated for the prime minister. The council can sway the decision and nominate anyone as the prime minister for the next term, even if the president stayed the same," Lord Caldwell said ingeniously.

Of course, that was possible. Now, he remembered Lord Caldwell was the prime minister nominee from the Liberal party even though he wasn't the president. Sadly, they lost the election. It seemed like Lord Caldwell was willing to guide him on the same path, but there must be something he wants from him for nothing is ever for free.

He was very much aware of the Kentshire blood flowing through him that has given him this opportunity. The scandal had only scratched the Kentshire reputation and with the unending support from the royal family, they were still above everyone else.

"That could happen," William said carefully. He didn't want to come out and ask Lord Cardwell how to do that. He has to be careful with this one.

"I strongly believe in you, William," Lord Caldwell said making William cringe at his name and said so casually, "I think you are more than capable of not only running this party but also this country. Only if it wasn't for the recent scandal."

Lord Caldwell's demeanour showed remorse but there was a satisfaction mixed with it like he was happy with everything that played out.

"I thank you my lord for believing in me and I believe there must be a way I can work for it. After all, the heat of the scandal will be blown off soon enough," William said with fake respect, watching him like a hawk. He had given the other an opening, now he would wait and watch.

"Of course, of course," Lord Caldwell said gulping the rest of his whiskey, "The first step will be to rectify the mistake made by your brother."

"I am afraid I do not understand, my lord," William said. He was not going to listen to a stranger prodding into his family members' lives. Even if he wasn't happy with Oliver, Oliver had been extremely happy and he would not let anyone harm his brother's marriage. It was simply unacceptable.

"Kentshire always married into a noble family, your brother strayed from his path but you are also the son of the Duke of Kentshire, second son but Duke nonetheless," Lord Caldwell said.

"And the first step to achieving your dream will be restoring the glory of Kentshire as it once was by marrying a highborn lady from a noble family," He continued complacently, "A good marriage is always a strength in any political endeavour."

William pondered over Lord Cardwell's word. He was never interested in getting married. When he decided on his career as a politician he knew he would never have the time to play family and he put out the notion from his head completely.

"Well, no more talks of the parliament. My wife has been over my head about it. All women want to talk about are pretty dresses and balls, such simplistic creatures" Lord Caldwell said sighing, "Will you be in attendant for tonight's ball, my lord?"

No! He was not going to the ball. He had better things to do. He already attended so many balls for the sake of his brother's marriage. No one even had an inkling the second son of Kentshire was opposed to the recent wedding in their family and he wanted to keep it that way. But now when Lord Caldwell said it.

"Yes, my lord," William replied simply.

"I have to take my leave now. We shall meet in the ball, Lord Warwick," Lord Caldwell said. William stood up and left the chamber piecing up all the conversation and reading between the lines.

Lord Caldwell wasn't a generous man, for him, everything was a business. If he was ready to give William a helping hand means he wanted something in return. And he might just know what it was.

William was finely dressed for the ball. He wasn't the most good-looking of his brothers and he preferred it that way but today he had a mission to start with the first step of getting things in order. And he knew exactly which lady was going to help him achieve his dreams.

As soon as he arrived, he made his way to Lord Caldwell.

"Lord Caldwell," William tipped his head slightly a ghost of a smile on his face, "I hope you are enjoying the ball."

"Lord Warwick," Lord Caldwell said enthusiastically, "It is pleasure to meet you outside those stone walls. Please let me introduce you to my wife and my daughter."

Both the ladies curtsied to William. He asked Miss Caldwell for dance and placed a gentle kiss on the back of her hand while gazing at her. She was going to be his ticket to fulfilling his dream.

-------------------------------------------------

If you like this chapter please vote, comment and share.