32. Ablaze

"Oh, it should be more than a flicker. Haven't you heard? We dragons can light anything ablaze."―Sarah K.L. Wilson, The Ruby Isles

Kathalina had never felt this angry and sad before. She couldn't believe her oblivion would be so short-lived. She knew she had to face her parents but she was hoping to gather some courage before she faces their disappointment. But before that, she had to do something else.

"Where is the ledger's office?" She asked to the dead silent room.

No one spoke their gaze fixated on her angry face. Everyone sitting there understood what it means when people say that looks could kill. She was more terrifying than William and no one dared to utter a word.

"Why?" Hannah asked softly, not to rattle her even more.

Kathalina didn't reply her eyes still fixated on the news article.

William turned her around into his arms and lightly patted her head calming her down. He had an inkling why she wanted to go to the ledger's office. She was angry but deep down she was hurt and it needed to be fixed first.

"Why do you wanna go to the Ledger's office, Kat?" Hannah asked again carefully.

"I want to burn down their office," Kathalina said separating from William, "Their audacity to write something like this in the newspaper for the ton to see. Why would they lie and say my father has retired? He loves what he does, he hasn't retired. If they want to slander me they can but why do they have to drag my father into this."

"Kat, why don't we ask someone to empty the ledger's building first? You don't want anyone to get hurt after we set the office on fire, do you?" Hannah said shocking everyone in the room.

Everyone including Kat turned their head to Hannah with surprise and shock.

"I can do it, burn down the ledger's office?" Kathalina asked surprised. Her anger dissipated.

"If you want to, but the livelihood of many that work in the Ledger will be put at risk and we will need to pay for the damages done and some legal troubles, not to mention we would-be criminals," Hannah said in seriousness, wondering what else could happen.

"So, we can't do it," Kat said pouting.

"Of course, we can, we will need to think this through first," Hannah replied.

"What else can I do?" Kathalina said frustrated, "What they have done is wrong? And they wouldn't even be punished for it?"

"Well, you can talk to your parents. He will be able to ask Ledger to publicly apologize," Hannah suggested.

Kathalina stayed silent, contemplating meeting her parents. She wasn't ready yet. She didn't want to be away from William. She was scared her parents might take William away from her.

"We can go together if you want," William suggested.

"You will come with me?" Kat asked surprised.

"Yes," William replied, "Even though one witness was under-aged I did vow in front of that innocent soul that I would always be there with you, every step of the way, against all odds."

Kathalina smiled through her anger. She loved the right man.

"I will never be ready to face my parents. Which child wants to arouse their parent's wrath and get scolded," Kathalina sighed.

"My third seemed to do just that all the time," Lady Kentshire said looking at Seb. Everyone laughed while Seb only pouted.

"Darling," Father Kentshire said, "We will all be here when you come back. We are now your family too."