29. Runaway Bride

"If ever I was running, it was towards you." ― Jennifer Elisabeth

Today was Kathalina's wedding. William was in his private estate. He was surrounded by melancholy while his family members were preparing to attend the wedding of the woman he loved and left.

His family felt it would be utterly inappropriate if they didn't attend the wedding despite understanding William's stand against Lord Liverpool and they requested William to join them for the sake of his political image.

But William didn't want to think that the woman he loves will be marrying another man. He wanted to live his life in oblivion for as long as he can. He wanted to pretend, that they will still meet in another ball where they try to catch each other attention. He dreamed of once again protecting Kathalina from her father when she sneaks into his office.

He wanted to dream a bit longer. She would barge into his estate, her red hair wild and her freckles on display. He would then banter with her jumping from one topic to other and getting lost on another whimsical adventure that would come to her mind.

He wanted to take her to his duchy at Warwick. They could try to locate all the secret passageways and chambers of that ancient palace and walk along the edges of the flower fields where you can hear the sound of water falling somewhere deep inside the mountain.

There was so much he wanted to live with her. So much he could only dream now, for the reality was getting sealed as Kathalina walked down the aisle. He wondered how she would look in her white wedding gown.

Her wedding gown fitted her slender waist, her hair made up perfectly atop her head a rebellious strand escaping and flowing with the veil. Simply the angel that would walk towards him.

But why was she walking towards him with her skirt bunched up in her hand?

William looked around him frantically and he was indeed sitting in his estate's garden. He looked back again and there she was barging towards him, her lips muttering. He knew she was cursing, with the expression she wore. William sat upright in his place. Was he hallucinating? 

He tried calling the people in his house, but after his pitiful request to leave him alone, everyone had scampered off to their duties. There was no one to bring him out of this.

This was a nightmare for William. He didn't want to wake up and find Kathalina absent from his life. He shut his eyes tightly praying to wake up from this horrible dream. It was impossible for Kathalina to be here. It was her wedding day for god's sake. He prayed to ease his pain to no avail.

But then a glimmer of thought lit up in his head. Could it be real? Kathalina always did things that no one would even think of doing.

He opened his eyes slightly and Kathalina was standing before him gasping for breath.

"Will," She said cheerfully as soon as their eyes met.

"Kate," William whispered, "What brings you here?"

He still felt like he was in a dream.

"I thought a walk and fresh air would do me good," Kathalina replied still catching her breath, "It is quite stuffy in this darn dress."

"That is a wedding dress," William said still wondering if it was reality or a dream.

"Ah, yes," Kathalina chuckled, "The wedding. It slipped my mind."

"It is your bloody wedding," William said emphasizing.

"Yes, I remember," Kathalina said bored, "I also remember what marriage stands for me."