30. Witness

"That's what people do who love you. They put their arms around you and love you when you're not so lovable." ― Deb Caletti

William was standing frozen in the doorway contemplating what he would say to his family on the other side of the door. Kathalina found it hilarious. He should be comforting her as they go to meet his family after they eloped and got married at Gretna Green.

William took in a deep breath and Kathalina chuckled for he was fretting for nothing. Kathalina didn't mind if his family refuse to accept her. She knew how to stand her ground. As long as she could be with William she would tolerate his family. She was never going to ask him to leave anyone but she sure wasn't going to stand there and take any disrespect.

She wasn't afraid of what lies ahead at all. It was like another adventure for her. She was excited that she wanted to barge in and tell everyone she had eloped and married their son, William Kentshire. She was so happy. It wasn't exactly how she dreamed of getting married but she did marry her prince charming who she loves and he loves her back.

She didn't mind the hasty wedding. Eloping was something she never expected. She wanted to get married at the church with her father walking her down the aisle. William waiting at the other end. But this was so much more fun than her wish. She knew she will have to beg at her parent's feet to forgive her and give her the grand wedding she always wanted.

The thought of her parents made her understand why William was feeling the way he was. But instead of contemplating all the things she should say and all the things she should do, the truth would still stay the same. She would rather get it over with than worry about it unnecessarily.

Finally, William seemed to have made up his mind as he signalled the footmen to open the door. The scene inside wasn't at all what was expected. Everyone was busy decorating the parlour, the orders sent around flying from everywhere. It was as if the preparation was being done hastily.

"William," Kathalina whispered tugging on his shirt sleeve, "Is there any celebration planned?"

"No, nothing," William replied dumbfounded.

Everyone was so focused on their work that no one even noticed the couple standing and watching the chaos for a long moment. William thought of simply sneaking through the crowd and making way to the bed chamber and taking a rest before they break news to the family.

The travel to Gretna Green and back had taken a toll on their bodies but they had simply buried it under all the excitement. But now they could feel the exhaustion taking over.  William whispered his plan to Kathalina and she knew he was trying to stall telling his family.

She smiled knowingly and agreed to his plan. She too needed to gather up energy if she was going to face the wrath of Kentshires. But before they could take two steps further someone whisper made everyone halt and all eyes turned to them.

They are here! They are here!

William could hear everyone murmuring and he hoped it wasn't them everyone was waiting for. There was no way there would be so much preparation done for him, but if his mother knew he would be bringing back a bride, she would go out of her way with the preparation.

Slowly and efficiently everyone started filing out of the parlour. His mother was first to arrive followed by Hannah. She saw them standing near the doorway and made her way toward them in rush.

With the smile, his mother wore it was clear his mother knew. He sent a disapproving look to Hannah for ratting him out.

"William, my dear darling," His mother said happily trying to hug his towering frame. William bent down to let his mother give him a kiss on the cheek and he placed a kiss on her forehead.