17. Dawn

"Veil after veil of thin dusky gauze is lifted, and by degrees, the forms and colours of things are restored to them, and we watch the dawn remaking the world in its antique pattern."― Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

It was early in the morning. The rays of the sun were making their way to the earth illuminating everything with a golden glow, sending darkness back to the shadows.

Kathalina woke up disoriented and sick. She sat up her head pounding, her throat parched and a deeply unsettling feeling inside her. A glass of water was placed near her lips and she drank from it thirstily the hand holding the glass ever so tightly and her hands wrapped around his.

Silence stood between them like a brick wall. She didn't forget what happened last night. She came to him in desperation and only got heartbroken. She knew exactly why she was furious, furious at him, furious at herself. He was not hers and yet she couldn't fathom letting him go.

She knew everything in her brain was irrational. Her fear of losing him when he was never hers, the anger that threaten to burst at him when she had no right, everything she felt for him at that moment which was born from the love was irrational and she hated every bit of it.

"How are you feeling?" He asked softly.

She didn't answer. She knew if she open her mouth the only thing pouring out will be poison. He didn't say anything else. They sat together in silence, waging wars in their minds till the day was bright as a sun.

A knock on their door halted the train of their thoughts. William opened the door for his butler to enter and present a lavish breakfast.

"My Lord, my lady," He said, "There was a carriage waiting outside the estate the entire night."

Kathalina's heart sank, fear gripping her, the images of last night in her study flashing through her eyes. She clutched the sheets tightly. William had a foreboding feeling. He cursed himself once again.

"We brought the driver inside. He said he is her ladyship's driver," He continued.

Kathalina relaxed visibly, letting a deep sigh. She forgot to send her driver away last night, it seems to be working in her favour. She should go back home because she couldn't stay here any longer. She didn't even raise her head up to look at his face for she knew she will lose all control and let everything in her heart explode.

But she had to keep in mind, that he was nothing to her. He was her father's rival and she was no one to him.

"Thank you," She spoke up, "Please ask him to get ready to leave."

Kathalina got down from the bed making her way to the door to leave. Her head was still low, her eyes averted from his.

"I have asked to send your driver away," He said after a brief moment.

"I need to go home. My parents will be worried," She said monotonously. Her words jabbed him in the gut.

"Your parents are not back in London yet," He replied.

Kathalina looked up at him vehemently. The anger flaring inside her eyes made him take a step back.

"Are you spying on my family?" She asked her teeth clenched, restraining the anger.

"Noo," He said a bit frightened, "I am not. I am not spying on your family or you."

"How do you know my family is out of London?" She asked her anger dripping from her words.

"I," He sighed, sitting on a settee. He looked tired from the lack of sleep.  He looked at her with pleading eyes asking her to understand but Kathalina had long ago closed her heart, all she could see was red.