10. A Bold Move

"Women don't endure simply because we can; no, women endure because we aren't given any other choice. - they wanted us weak but forced us to be strong."― Amanda Lovelace, The Witch Doesn't Burn in This One

William was certain he was going to go insane. After the night he kissed Kathalina Liverpool in the stuffy old library, he packed his back and left London. He was at Warwick, his duchy, hiding from her or whatever consequences his whimsical actions might bring him.

What a foolish move! He should be ashamed of himself. He was the epitome of a calm and collected person and yet he lost his control by a mere annoying woman. Why would he kiss her! He couldn't find the answer to it, for every time he recall it he could hardly sleep.

It was nothing special. He had kissed countless women, her lips were not soft but a bit chapped with an unusual minty taste. It was like any other kiss, meeting of the mouths but it ignited the fire in him that didn't seem to simmer down. He visited his mistress wanting to sate his desires but after all that is done, his mind still wander over to thoughts of her.

After a week's vacation at his Duchy, he couldn't ignore the summons from London. His party would soon declare the new President and him as the Vice President and being absent during such announcement would start unnecessary gossip all over the town.

William was in his office clearing out the garbage. All his plans after he became the president was going to the waste bin one after the other. He looked at all the pieces he meticulously worked on day and night in the hopes of them seeing the light of day.

"Lord Warwick."

William was startled at the sudden intrusion. He wasn't shocked at the person standing at his door with that foolish garb she wears to hide her feminine figure. One look at her and anyone could tell what she hides beneath those men clothing. It was like he was expecting her to show up.

"My lady," William said plainly, "I believed I asked you not to present yourself in front of me. Our deal is done."

"Our deal was done and then you broke it," She said folding her hands.

"How is it that I broke the deal? I gave you the contact to carry out the further investigation," William said bored.

"Yes, but then you kissed me in the ball," She said nonchalantly, making his heart skip a beat.

He turned around hiding his face into the bookshelf behind his chair, looking for nothing in particular.

"About that, it was a mistake," William was lost at words, "It is best we forget about it."

"Absolutely not," She declared.

He was baffled by her response. He remembered he was the one who kissed her, he should apologize to her face and when his eyes met hers he saw innocence that he never saw before. His mind was playing tricks on him, this chaotic hurricane of a woman can't have the innocence that was reflecting in her eyes.

"What do you mean?" He asked instead.

"You kissed me," She said, "It was my first kiss and I hardly remember what happened let alone enjoy it."

William gulped, he felt he was at the gallows, soon to be punished for stealing her first kiss.

"I demand you kiss me again," She said.

William thought he was either dreaming or hallucinating. This woman definitely hadn't just demanded him to kiss her so nonchalantly.

He chuckled disbelievingly.

"My lady," William said unsure of his words, "Have you lost your goddamn mind?"

"You took my first kiss without my permission and now have the audacity to ask me if I have lost my mind," She rebuked, "I simply need to understand all they say in the books is true of the first kiss. Unfortunately, I can't make head or tails of it. I need to kiss again to make sure."

William was caught in something very unexpected and for the first time in his life, he couldn't find a way to deal with this. He needed a drink. He made his way to the decanter while Kathalina made herself comfortable in the chair in front of his desk.

"What is this?" She said after some time, holding a paper.

William walked back to his table, gathering all his plans. After all, she was his enemy's daughter.

"Are you here to spy on me?" He asked seriously.

"Do you think I am stupid to tell you if I was spying on you?," She retorted. Right! Where is your brain, William!

"Personal Property Bill: The right of the noblewoman to hold property with their ownership independent of their husband and children," She read out loud from the paper she snatched away.

"Give that back," He moved forward to snatch it back.

"Are you serious about this?" She asked surprised.

"I was if I would have become the president. Not anymore," He explained taking away the parchment and stuffing it in some file.

"You mean the ladies of the ton could have their own estate," She asked still curious, following around him like a lost puppy.

"Yes," He said arranging the rest of the parchments in the file.

"The estates owned by the ladies of the house," She said.

"Yes, my lady," He sighed.

"That is ridiculous," She said carelessly.

"And why is that?" He asked offended.

"Woman can't manage the estate, it is the job of the estate's lord," She said simply.

"Isn't the woman that is aware of all the affairs of the estate?" He asked.

"Yes, but men take all the decisions," She answered.

"That doesn't mean women are incapable of making those decisions themselves," He said, "It is simply that they aren't given the freedom to make those decisions."

"If women were capable of making the decisions they should have been at the places where decisions are taken. We don't even have female butlers," She said proudly.

"Maybe we should start with that," He said.

"What if women don't want it? What if they don't want to take such decisions?" She asked.

"And why wouldn't they?" He counteracted, "You are the only child of Lord Liverpool. Don't you feel angry or even dissatisfied that your father's duchy will go to some random stranger? Won't you want to hold on to the place where you were born and raised and manage it as you wish rather than giving it away to some stranger once you are married?"

"Well, my father duchy will be going to my cousin and I know him very well. He is a good man, he is perfectly capable of looking after the duchy," She said, "And even if he wasn't I do not want to be in a position where I have to take important decisions. It is a lord's job, a lady simply can't do it."

"You are your father's daughter. You conservative lot. I never expect you to understand," He said disparagingly.

"Neither do you," She reacted, " The only women that own the estate are the shameful mistress of lords. No respectable noble lady wants to be in this position."

"And have you asked all the respectable noble ladies of the ton," He asked sassily.

"Have you?" She sassed back.

"I know of one and one is enough for me," He said.

"And who that might be?" She said, expecting him to say his mistress which will discredit his point completely.

"My mother," He said softly.

-------------------------------------------------

If you like this chapter please vote, comment and share.