008. better be good

"Oh, what about this green?" leah asked, holding up a dark sage green paint swatch.
kylie and leah were in Home Depot looking at different colours of paint they could paint kylies walls with.
"i think I'm kinda over green now, i want like colours that are white with a little bit of the colour in them." kylie replied, picking up another sample of very pale pink. "and I'm only doing one wall in each room. The rest are gonna be white."
leah nodded. "So we need loads of white."
"Yeah."

by the end of their trip to Home Depot, kylie and leah had spent nearly two hundred dollars on paint, floor covers, and paintbrushes.

"I hope I didn't forget anything, I never wanna come back here again." kylie laughed as the girls put the big tins of paint in the trunk of her car, along with the bags of brushes and covers they got.
"Me too." leah replied."Can we get mcdonalds?"

Once the pair returned back to kylies house and unpacked all of the cans and bags they stood there, looking at the pile in the middle of the living room with dread in their eyes and cocktails that kylie had made in their hands.
"What room do we start with?" leah asked, picking up one of the floor covers and taking the plastic wrapping off of it.
"If we do my bedroom now, will it be dry by tonight?" kylie asked, picking up the can of pale pink paint.
"I think so? I don't know. I'm not a decorator." leah shrugged.
"were useless." kylie giggled.

an hour later, the girls had only done about half of kylies pink wall, and they still had to paint the other three walls white.
"This would take half the amount of time it is if you would stop texting people." leah commented as kylie checked her phones notifications.
"I'm not texting people, I'm texting a person." kylie defended herself.
"patrick?" leah asked. she didn't need to, she knew the answer already by looking at the smile on kylies face as she typed out her messages.
kylie blushed, not replying to leah.
"Have you guys been talking like that all week?" leah asked.
kylie nodded. "we've been talking, yeah." she put her phone down and picked her paintbrush back up. "I wanna ask him to hang out, but I don't know how...or where, I mean, look at the state of this place."
"Do you think this would be quicker if we had a roller?" leah asked
"I'm not going back to the store for one. We can make do with these brushes." kylie said, carefully tracing round the light switch with her small paintbrush. her phone buzzed, giving leah an idea.
"Ask patrick if he has one." she suggested.
"Are you serious?" kylie asked, picking up her phone to read his message.
"Yeah, maybe he'll want to help."
there was a pause as leah watched kylie type out messages, laughing at one of Patrick's replies.
she put her phone down and bit her lip.
"he's on his way over with a roller."

about fourty five minutes later, patrick was inside kylies house, teaching her how to use the paint roller.

"No, like, put your left hand further up." he directed her, watching as she moved her right hand further up the pole.
"Girl, that's your right hand." leah laughed.
"What? oh." kylie switched her hands back to the same position they were in before. "Like this?"
she looked at patrick, who shook his head, coming over and moving kylies hands for her.
"Like that, and then roll it in the tray."
he took a step back and watched kylie as she soaked the roller with paint from the tray and rolled it on the wall, followed by the paint dripping down onto the hardwood floor, which luckily didn't have carpet on it yet.
"Oh shit." she giggled
"Here, let me do the roller. You stick to your brushes." patrick said, taking the roller from kylies arms and spreading the large pool of paint around the wall.
"Are you sure? you don't have to."
"it's fine, I have nothing to do tonight anyway." patrick shrugged

the three young adults painted for about four hours until the sun was beginning to set.
"it's getting dark. What time is it?" leah asked, climbing down from the ladder she was stood on.
"Eight thirty." kylie replied, looking at the time on her phone."we've been doing this for like five hours."
"I know, I'm hungry." leah said
"There's a good Mexican place not too far from here." patrick mentioned
"I love mexican." kylie said, walking to a pile of mail she had. "What's it called? They've probably sent me a menu."

leah had gone to collect the food, leaving kylie and patrick alone in the house. they were using one of the floor covers as a blanket and were sat on it in the middle of the now empty living room. all the paint cans had been moved to the sides of the room and lined up along the bottom of the walls.
"You look really nice tonight." patrick smiled at kylie, who was lying on her stomach playing a game on her phone.
"covered in paint?" kylie giggled. The few cocktails she had were definitely getting to her a little bit, and the alcohol made her cheeks more flushed than usual.
"You're just really pretty."
kylie looked away, tucking one of the front strands of her hair behind her ear before mumbling a shy thank you to patrick. the fact that she was getting this nervous around another man so soon after a big breakup was confusing her.
the door opened, interrupting the little moment between kylie and patrick, and leah walked in, holding the bags of food.
"we ordered so much." she huffed, placing the bags down on the floor.
"This better be good."