020. a lot of baggage

it was now the day before the game against the 49ers, and kylie and patrick were hanging out for a little while before he had to go to a hotel for the night.
"Why do you have to stay at a hotel tonight if you're playing in your home stadium? That doesn't make sense." Kylie said, twirling one of Patrick's curls around her finger. patrick could tell something was bothering her, she wasnt her usual chatty self tonight. he just nodded in agreement.
"it's only for this game, though. I think the coach just wants trav to get his head back in the game a bit and stop getting so distracted the night before our games." he said.
"distracted." kylie giggled."Can't he get fined for that?"
"he can, but the contract says you can only get fined if you get caught or if theres evidence, but i dont know what kinda evidence they want," patrick shrugged.
"Is a baby not enough evidence?" kylie laughed
"Clearly not." patrick said, also laughing. "Are you gonna be in the suite again tomorrow?"
"I think so. Yeah, leah wants me in there with her."
"Come and see me in the tunnel before you go up."
"Okay." kylie smiled. it was a sad smile, lacking the usual twinkle in her eyes.
"What's wrong?" patrick asked her.
"Nothing, im fine." she shrugged
"You're really on edge." he pressed."Have I done something?"
when he asked that last question, kylie felt a pang in her heart. she didn't mean to make him think that, and it hurt her to know that he did.
she nervously swallowed, and there was a moment of silence before she spoke again.
"Pat, I need to tell you something." she said, her voice quiet.
"Oh." his heart sunk, and his smile faded. his mind wandered immediately to whether or not she was going to end things with him. maybe he was just a rebound, or maybe she decided to focus on herself right now and didn't want a relationship after all.
"Don't look like that. It's not - well, it might be bad, I don't want to scare you away." she explained.
"I don't think you could scare me away if you tried." patrick replied
"I was planning on telling you this later, but when leah told me she thought she was pregnant, it made me think and -"
"Are you pregnant?"
"No, pat. I shouldn't have said think. it made me remember something."
patrick nodded. The way kylie was dancing around the subject was making him nervous.
"also." she continued."I know what brock is like, and I know that he will tell you this tomorrow if he gets the chance."
"You're scaring me, ky."
kylie took a deep breath, her bottom lip shaking.
"The day after my dad's funeral, I found out I was pregnant." she said, staring at the floor to avoid patricks eyes. "I was in a really dark, scary place at that time, so I told myself that I would live and that God had a plan, like, this baby was my reason to keep going."
she glanced up at patrick, who simply nodded, not really knowing what to say.
"and I did keep going, I dug myself out of the pit, and I got a car and an apartment all by myself. everything was going so well, and when I was twenty-eight weeks, I went into labour and..." she sniffed, silent tears beginning to roll down her cheeks.
"You don't have to tell me, ky." patrick assured her. he started gently rubbing his hand over her back. he was regretting pressing her about her mood now.
"I want to, pat. you deserve to know this. you deserve to know what kind of baggage i bring with me." she wiped the few tears away from her eyes and took another deep breath, trying not to burst into loud sobs. "she was so small, she had to be kept in the nicu for a week but sh- she didn't survive, and I haven't been able to carry past twenty weeks since then, i've tried twice now."
she was crying now, tears falling from her once bright and cheerful eyes.
"I'm so sorry, ky." patrick whispered, wrapping both of his arms around kylie and pulling her into him.
"I completely understand if you want to leave, I won't stop you." she sniffed. her heart was pounding hard in her chest, and patrick could feel it.
"I'm not leaving. I don't care how much fucking baggage you come with or what anyone says. I'm staying, kylie. you cant say anything to make me change my mind"