Chapter 10 - Happy birthday

Another week has passed. I took some time to recover from the panic attack I had and also the egg hunt, and now I'm finally feeling better again. Right on time. I remember how Sam told me about Shane's favorite meal. Pepper poppers. Marnie would always cook it for him, but I guess at some point, she stopped. Maybe she didn't even know how much Shane loved to eat it.

She even gave me the recipe. I feel like she thought it was getting old and mundane, and before tossing it away, she thought she could give it to me. I've been working real hard in the kitchen this entire morning to make sure this dish will turn out perfect. Still, I'm not sure why I'm putting in this much effort for someone who most likely won't even thank me.

Ever since I talked to Shane at night near that lake, I haven't been able to stop pondering about him and what else he might be hiding. Marnie told me that he truly doesn't mean any harm, and I believe her. Most people look at Shane and just immediately keep their distance. But for me, it's different. Everyone is telling me to stay away, but I feel like my intuition is trying to push me towards him. I want to trust my gut feeling.

I don't necessarily care if he'll thank me, or instantly throw me out of the house. I just want him to receive my gift. I know he will like it, regardless of how negative his reaction might be.

It's done I proudly whisper to myself.
Before bringing this to him, I have to take care of my chickens. I have a couple of hours left before Shane will return from work anyway.
I head outside and notice a small piece of paper right underneath my front door. I pick it up and begin reading what's written on it

Hey Mini Sam!
If you have time today, come visit me. I need your opinion on something!
See ya,
Big Sam.

I laugh to myself. Big Sam? Sure, he might be extremely tall, but personality wise he acts like a little puppy. A golden retriever, to be exact. He even looks like one too, with his blonde fluffy hair. I'm glad, though. Of course I appreciate Sebastian's company as well, but Sam is always so positive and easy-going.

I never once felt uncomfortable when he was with me, and it's impossible to feel upset or bored with him around. I like Abigail too, but for some reason I still haven't been able to truly form a connection with her. I find it hard to trust her. She's such a nice girl, and so extremely brave and confident, something I wish I was too, but whenever she's around, I feel the need to watch my every step. Basically the polar opposite of how I feel about Shane.

I shake my head and remember the note. Do I even have time today? It's already 2pm, I need about two more hours to finish taking care of the farm. Maybe I'll just quickly come over to say hi before heading out to see Shane. I'm sure that will work.

I am done with the farm work, and am currently waiting in front of Sam's door for him to open up and let me in. Suddenly I hear a whisper "pssst". I examine the area, trying to figure out where that noise is coming from "over here". I look towards Sam's window, and there he is, gesturing me to come over and climb in. I jump into his room and he closes the window.

"I'm glad you could make it! I have some super secret business I gotta tell you about." Oh? This is the first time I've had someone spill their super secret business to me. And he wanted me to come by so urgently to tell me? Now I'm curious. "Okay, so.. you know how Sebastian has been busy all week working on his computer? And I was also stuck inside my room for quite a while? Well, we finally have a complete band, and have already started working on some song ideas and lyrics", he explains joyfully.

I smile "Sam that's great! I'm super proud of you guys! How did you manage to complete your band so suddenly?"
"It turns out Abigail is an excellent drummer, and Sebastian suggested we should add her to our little band. He seemed to have really wanted her to join." My smile fades "oh", I say "that's nice". Sam nods proudly "Anyway, I need your help with something." He says and then runs over to his bed to pull out a little green box filled with paperwork.