Chapter 25 - Spirit Guide

After I found Grandpa's letter and allowed for my body to rest for a bit, I immediately got up and ran to the museum to find out more information. I've been scanning the bookshelf for all sorts of books about creatures or paranormal things, but nothing fits to the situation or what my grandpa mentioned. Suddenly a voice behind me startles me. "Do you need help finding anything?"

I turn around to find Penny standing behind me with her hands behind her back, holding onto her favorite novel. I want to ask her for help but surely she'd think I'm crazy for believing in some magical mysterious creatures only because my grandfather saw them, apparently. But then again, she knows a lot about books and has been visiting the museum regularly so she could be a huge help.

After a bit of hesitating, I finally ask her if she's ever seen a book about mysterious creatures that have been sighted here in Pelican Town and she shrugs her shoulders at me. "I don't think we have anything on Pelican Town specifically. If you're looking for ghosts, we do have a few good fiction novels." I sigh in frustration. This definitely isn't what I'm looking for.

"No, not exactly... my grandpa wrote about some weird creatures that apparently lived inside the old community center. I wanted to find more information about them, but that's crazy, right? They don't even really exist, probably." Penny looks at me, mildly concerned, when another voice suddenly appears from behind her.

"Yes, totally crazy. But isn't everything a little crazy? Like why do things happen the way they do? Crazy, if you think about it." I glance at the blue haired girl walking towards us with a sapphire necklace around her neck and some type of red crystal bracelet around her wrist.
"Emily, you don't have any further information on this... do you?"

"Hmm... I don't, but maybe she does." I look at her confused and tilt my head to the side. "Who is... she?", I ask her. Without a warning, Emily grabs my arm and pulls me outside with her, then drags me all the way back to her home. This isn't the first time this has happened, so I'm not as surprised anymore. We arrive in her room and she tells me to sit down at her table.

"Now quiet, I need to call her up.", she says after turning every light except for that of her purple crystal ball off. I watch her as she sits down on the ground and begins meditating, all while holding two specific crystals in each hand and occasionally saying random words. Every single time this girl appears, something unexpected happens. It's no different this time. I have no idea what she's doing but I'm still so intrigued.

I'm watching her entranced, not even blinking, when she suddenly calls out loudly: "There you are, you sure took your time, lovely girl. I'm here to ask for your help... yes... exactly yes... read her thoughts, read her problem and tell me how to fix it... Sami?" I look at her confused. "yeah?", I ask. "Think of your problem. Make sure to envision it very clearly. Focus on it." I do as Emily instructs. She could be cursing me right now for all I know.

"Is this really safe?", I ask her worried. "Well do you want to help your granddad or no?" I quickly nod my head at her and she asks for me to continue with her instructions. "Now tell me, what is the solution you see? What is the answer?... ah... I see, yes... purple, I see the color purple... inside the woods?... a piece of paper... now what is that writing? Doesn't look like our alphabet to me."

She keeps mumbling to herself. I wish I could read her mind. "For the answer you need, go walk through the forest, the purple you'll meet, will help with the rest." Suddenly she places the crystals on her table and turns to face me. "So... what did you just do exactly?" She gets up and reaches out a hand to help me get off the floor.

"I talked to one of my spirit guides, of course. She's been living in Pelican Town for ages and I knew she'd be able to help. Now come on! We don't have all day!" I stop her from exiting her place. "Wait, do you even know what we need to do?". She ponders for a second, then shrugs her shoulders "Not really, to be honest."

I sigh. She seems like such a smart person but she's incredibly impulsive and impatient as well. I need to try and figure out what her rambling could mean. She said something about the color purple inside the woods. Surely she's talking about the woods near Marnie's farm. But what is purple about them? Maybe the night sky? But how can you MEET the night sky... Did they mean a purple person?

"Wait a second! If the purple is supposed to be a person, then there's only one name that pops into my head. Who embodies this color more than anyone and loves to take nightly walks through the woods the most?" I smile at Emily, expecting for her to know right away. "Shane?", she replies and I can't help but face palm.

"No, not him... Abigail! Obviously! Maybe she has whatever piece of paper your spirit guide told you about?", I explain and Emily reassures me. The both of us head to Pierre's store to find Abby and ask her. I feel weird about going to her for help like this, but it's necessary. I don't want Joja to take over our town. And plus, her dad will be able to keep his job that way, meaning Abby won't have to worry about having to find one herself anymore.

We don't even have to enter the store, as she's stood right outside the door reading the Help Wanted notes on the bulletin board. I clear my throat as I'm approaching her and carefully tap her shoulders. Without turning around, she goes: "what do you want?". I try to explain it without stuttering to make myself seem less intimidated.

"Uhh, you see... Emily and I were just wondering if you have some type of.. letter written in a foreign language in your possession?" Abby turns around and looks at me, then at Emily, then back at me. "What makes you ask that?" Emily speaks up with zero hesitation. "My spirit guide told me. She showed me a piece of paper with a small message written on it and the letters seemed unfamiliar. Plus, we're pretty sure you have it."

"Let's say I do have it, why would I give it to you? What the hell do you need it for?", Abby asks skeptically. I start to get more and more frustrated. "Look, I don't know! I'm just trying to gather as much clues and information as possible in order to stop Joja from making everybody's lives here miserable. You also live here, so why not help us? We'll return it to you, if you want."

She rolls her eyes at me and crosses her arms. "Fine, I guess. I do have it. I'll go get it real quick." A relieved smile forms on my face. I'm glad I was able to persuade Abby into helping us. In the end, it will benefit her too. It would've been stupid of her not to give us the note. After a couple minutes she arrives back outside, then hands us a small piece of paper.

Emily quickly takes one glance at it and then immediately hands it over to me. "Yup. That's the note I saw. Exact resemblance." It's unbelievable. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to witchcraft, but I don't have doubts that it's possible in some way, and Emily just proved that to me. I thank Abby excitedly, but that feeling of euphoria quickly fades when I realize that I still have no idea what to even do with this note.

I can't decipher the writing at all. I have no idea what language it could even be. Neither of the other two know. I sigh to myself. Emily places one hand on my shoulder in an attempt to calm me down. "So what about that forest thing?", she suddenly asks. I look at her confused. "Huh? Forest what?"

"Well, she told me that the forest will tell us the rest. There has to be something else we need to find.. inside the woods.", Emily explains to me. Now I remember. I find it almost hard to believe that there could be anything to find in there, but then again, she was right about the note. Even if it was just a lucky guess, it was incredibly specific. There HAS to be some truth to it.

"Hah. Good luck going in there. It's so overgrown that barely any light finds its way through.", Abigail states teasingly. She must be right. I've been too afraid to wander into the woods by myself because of how dark it gets after just a few minutes. Abby told me multiple times that the forest feels like a second home to her. She's the only one that could guide us through and help us find whatever we need. But will she help me again? She has to. We're doing this for her sake too, after all.

"I hate to bother you more, but... would you mind being our guide through the woods?". She looks at me skeptically with her arms crossed. "Why are you begging me for help? I thought you despised me oh so much." I shrug my shoulders. "Perhaps I do, but that doesn't have anything to do with the fate of Pelican Town, does it? Neither of us want for our home to be destroyed. Can't we work together? Just this once?", I ask her calmly.

She rolls her eyes at me. "Come on, Abby! I'll make sure to give you some of my amethyst as well! Please!", Emily adds. Abigail scoffs and shakes my hand to seal the deal. "Fine. But if you piss me off in the slightest, I'm out. And that's a threat." I grin at her.

"Deal."