Books To Read

• Dedicated to The writers who write the books

Books to read over Winter Break – yes, you’re welcome.

Rightio. Well, I’m going to list some Wattpad books and some Already-Published books that you should totally check out. The point of this is to give you some books that you’ve probably not heard of or decided not to pick up. Therefore, I am deliberately not going to add books like ‘The Hunger Games’ to my list. Come on, people, you’ve heard it all before.

Published books:

     1)     Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman. Honestly, this was amazing. Like, seriously amazing.

              Book Summary:

Callum is a nought - a second-class citizen in a world run by the ruling Crosses.Sephy is a Cross, the daughter of one of the most powerful men in the country.

In their world, noughts and Crosses simply don't mix. And as hostility turns to violence, can Callum and Sephy possibly find a way to be together? They are determined to try.

And then the bomb explodes...

Basically, being black is good – it makes you a cross. Being white is bad – it makes you a nought. The two do not mix. Ever. It’s prohibited and “against the laws of nature.” Well, not to Sephy and Callum. 

This book definitely makes you think about life and where it’s heading, and it’s just one of those reads you just... can’t get over; a definite must-read.

2)     Once by Morris Gleitzman. It is for younger teenagers, but don’t let the lack of ambitious vocabulary stop you from reading this great, great book. It’s written in the point of view of a 9 to 10 year old boy. He is so naive, so clueless about life, but so hopeful. Sometimes just his naivety sparks the tears.

              Book Summary :

Everybody deserves to have something good in their life. At least Once.

Once I escaped from an orphanage to find Mum and Dad.

Once I saved a girl called Zelda from a burning house.

Once I made a Nazi with a toothache laugh.

My name is Felix. This is my story.

Once is the first in a series of children's novels about Felix, a Jewish orphan caught in the middle of the Holocaust, from Australian author Morris Gleitzman - author of Bumface and Boy Overboard. The next books in the series Then, Now and After are also available.

Seriously. Read this. Read this now.

3)     The Gallagher Girls series by Ally Carter. All five (nearly six) books are gems. The series is about a girl, Cammie ‘The Chameleon’(her codename) Morgan, who goes to a school for spies.

It’s jam-packed with action, romance, hot teachers, badass aunts, the real kind of friends, and danger as the series progresses.  The covers are gorgeous, the titles insanely clever (only the good spy young, don’t judge a girl by her cover, cross my heart and hope to spy etc), and you WILL fall in love with the characters. I’m not kidding.

4)     Seven Sorcerers and the sequel Shadow Spell by Caro King. If you love a bit of fantasy, adventure and surprise – but no romance – you should totally read this. It’s so imaginative, well thought-out and just pretty darn amazing.

    Side note: You know that you’ve read a great fantasy book when you start to believe something like Hogwarts could and might exist. C’mon, you potterheads, I know you’ve all convinced yourself you’re still getting that letter.