Stories in General

The Hard Thing a Writer Has To Do in Order to Make a Book. Or: Thtawhtdiotmab (which, you gotta admit, looks like: thatwhatidiotmab)

Romance is a very used topic. It’s in every, if not all, stories. Whether it is in very subtle sub-plots or the main genre of the story, it’s always there. Here are some tips, from me to you, on how to accomplish a perfect love story and what you have to do in order to make it perfect.

      1)      Know the most important thing when it comes to writing a romance story. The most important thing (will be mentioned later).

       2)      Don’t be cliché, some love it, and most DON’T.

      3)      If you’re writing a romance story for PG audiences, make it love not lust.  It’ll make the readers connect to the story more rather than writing something inappropriate.

       4)      Be a good writer. If you can’t write, you can’t write. I’m not going to lie here, and I’m sorry about it. There IS such thing as getting better at writing from practise, but if you’re not born with the ambition to write, the biggest most weirdest imagination, and if you don’t read... Well, you’re not a writer. Imagination is something you’re born with; being able to lose yourself in a book is something you were born with. No one develops that skill. 

      5)      (Or Four part Two) Think of writing as art – which it is, for some – and know this: You have to be born with the talent of drawing, painting and whatnot. Leonardo Divinci didn’t take AMAZING art lessons, he was born with it. Sure, he probably practised, all writers need practise as well as artists, but you can go to as many art lessons as you want and you’re not going to be able to create a painting.

      6)      If you think I’m talking a pile of crap, then that’s your opinion. And that little writing text above is my opinion. I just don’t think you can read one book from the Harry Potter series and become the next Ally Carter. It doesn’t happen.

     7)      And most importantly, writing takes a lot of practice, a lot of hair pulling and A LOT of writers block. Look around a bit, find your style, work on it, and practise. If what you’re writing is still terrible, try again and wait. If it’s STILL shit, it probably wasn’t mean to be.  Like I said, some were born with the ability and passion to write...And some weren’t...

If you know you can’t write, please don’t burden us with your tryings to. Try and get better, but don’t complain if you can’t. You probably have a special talent too; just take the time to find it. Read on if you’re pretty sure you can write decent-enough books and you just want to try something new.

The most important thing you need to know (top on the list of my seven points) is that you have to not just make your female protagonist fall in love with your character, you have to make your readers fall in love with him, too.  You can have...Mandy...love Jeremy, but that doesn’t mean we’re going to love Jeremy. And if we don’t love Jeremy then you’re not doing a good job. You can write out a crap summary of her affections and how great it is, but we don’t believe that! We want to be shown, if that makes sense. Well, in our minds, it’s shown.  You can write three hundred perfectly sculpted pages with a beautiful writing skill about how great he is. Does that make us love him? Nope. SHOW US. Show us how great he can be. I know that’s hard to wrap your head around, but if you can’t do it, find something else. Romance is not for you. Sorry.

Give us something new, exciting and intriguing. Make us captivated by the words you’ve written. If you’re writing this:

“Hi.”

“Hey.”

“Penelope, I need to tell you something.”

“What is it?”

“I love you.”

And then putting an /AN asking us if we enjoyed it then we’re going to unfan you, click off the story and go read something by XxSkater2GirlxX. If you can’t write an emotional – emotional doesn’t necessarily mean sad, it can be any emotion you want – then you can’t write. Full stop. No story can be a good story without emotion; emotion helps us connect with the character, if you don’t have that, how do we connect? Ooh, I know!!

We can’t.

Just pay attention to English class, read and write. That’s all.

P.S. Imagination can't be taught. Writing can, Imagination can't. You can't write a good story without  a good imagination. Oops, did I forget to mention that?                                          

And, wow, I’m so far away from the topic of interest. Romance has slowly disintegrated and turned into writing in general. But, like my Physics teacher once said, “I know we’re supposed to be talking about Light but we’ll get to that later.” And then he’d probably carry on giving us his theories on the Universe.

Crazy old man.

 That’s not the point, what is the point, again? Oh, yeah: romance. Good luck with it. And try and make a little sense of what I’ve just written; if you can.

-Amy.