Chapter 42: Pay Rise

For a while now, Luke has been staring at the documents in front of him with a stoic face.

Hamish, who was standing as he observes the Duke, could only fidget nervously with his hands as he waits for Luke to say something.

Moments before, Hamish was surprised when Luke suddenly called him and asked about a particular employee's contract. The Duke even specified the a certain rule included in there.

'But I did tell His Grace to review it, did I not? But His Grace only skipped over everything, putting his signature in a haste...' Hamish thought secretly.

Upon seeing the frowning of Luke's eyebrows as he stared at the documents, Hamish gulped.

'However, the Duke does treat Miss Angeles particularly well. Maybe the contract caused trouble between the two of them?'

The next moment, Hamish widened his eyes upon seeing the scene in front of him.

Using the luxury lighter he'd use when smoking, Luke didn't hesitate to light up the contract he was holding.

"Forget about this one. Make a new one without that Rule Number Twelve and make the salary even higher." Luke declared.

'Huh? Wasn't Miss Angeles' salary already much higher than the standard salary for nannies? At this rate, Miss Angeles would be the highest-paid employee in the estate.' Hamish mused, not daring to say it out loud to Duke.

"Noted, Your Grace." Hamish replied formally.

Luke had his eyes drooped down and his mouth was turned slightly downwards, clearly expressing his displeased mood.

"I know it's my own mistake to not read the contract properly but next time, when you are adding a new condition in the contract, make sure to let me know no matter what." Luke told him in a firm voice.

Hamish gave a slight nod to Luke, acknowledging his notice.

"I apologise for this, Your Grace. Back then, I thought it was a proper mitigation since Young Master's former nannies have had those issues... But now we know it's not merely a coincidence as it's all done by Andrea McLaren.."

"Mmm." Luke agreed quietly.

Looking at the Duke who seemed to have a lot on his plate, Hamish slightly bowed again.

"Then if there's nothing else, I will go now, Your Grace." Hamish greeted.

For him, it was better to leave Luke alone now.

Having been the Duke's assistant for a few years now, Hamish still could not believe that Dalena would be the first woman that Luke was involved with.

There is Eleanor, but he was aware of Luke's circumstances before so he knew that it was only a business relationship between them.

'Never expected Miss Angeles would be this much of an important figure...' Hamish thought as he walked away from Luke's office.

Meanwhile, as soon as Hamish left, Luke opened the windows of his office.

Using the same lighter he used to burn Dalena's contract, he lit up a cigar and quickly puffed it.

He was never a smoker but due to a certain event years ago, this would be his only way to calm himself and think properly.

'But if I had seen that section in the contract back then, what would I do? Hamish's rationale for adding that was quite understandable and I would really expose myself if I tell him to remove that...' Luke thought.

He let out the smoke from his mouth as he gazed at the night sky. Particularly today, it was a full moon and a bit cloudy.

'What's this? Even from the very start, I already wanted to be involved with her?'