Chapter 55: Past Memories II

From that moment on, Yarra would always attend the meetings for the fundraising event.

Not only does she see her 'target', but she also genuinely enjoys the work she does during the fundraising event.

Whilst being there, she was amazed at how brilliant Luke was.

'He's almost like a real nerd if not for his handsome face. Why is he so focused on his studies? He's so smart and dedicated to everything.'

On one fateful day, Yarra and Luke were the only ones left in the conference room.

It wasn't that odd, since both of them were the two most dedicated members in regards to the fundraising event.

"I figured out why I was so passionate about this, you know? I feel like I am one of those kids." Yarra said out of the sudden.

Luke, being the arrogant man he was, didn't pay attention to her and continued to do his own work. He must think that it was the usual Yarra spurting out random topics again.

"I don't know if you already know it Luke, but I'm actually adopted. My parents are white and I'm obviously from an Asian descent. Although no one told me explicitly, I feel like I would be one of those children if my parents did not adopt me."

"So, I feel like it's very natural for me to be drawn in helping these children... Participating in this fundraising event..."

After her subsequent responses, Luke took the effort to actually look at Yarra. He stopped whatever he was doing but just looked at her with a silent gaze.

"But you know what's weird, Luke? I did grow up having everything I need, but I still feel somewhat incomplete because I was adopted. It's something that will always be a part of me and I'm always so confused with how I should feel because technically, I should be grateful for my life."

Feeling that she revealed too much, Yarra chuckled to herself lightly and continued with her tasks. She didn't expect that she would reveal this much to Luke.

Perhaps, she has gotten too emotional recently to even open up to someone like him.

"I'm sorry." Luke's solemn tone came out of the nowhere.

Quite surprised at Luke's response, Yarra raised her eyebrows at him.

"Huh? What do you mean?"

Luke looked away awkwardly from Yarra.

"I'm sorry for what you've been through. I'm sorry if I seem rude. I also admit that I judged you too quickly. I'm sorry."

Looking at how flustered Luke was, Yarra thought it was a funny sight. She didn't expect that Luke would apologise for that. In the first place, she was the one who went all out to him.

Unless it's a natural fuckboy, of course any decent man would feel that she was being too intense.

Thankfully, it seems like with the time they have spent together at this fundraising event thing, Luke seems to have loosen his guard a little.

Slowly, Yarra's antics were able to get through him.

Yarra tried to control her chuckle, but it still came out.

"Hey, you don't need to make such a big deal about it!"

Luke seemed like he was hesitating but he turned his gaze back at Yarra.

"Also, I do see your passion for this project. You're also very efficient with your work. I'm not good with words but I am thankful that you are part of the team."