~4~

•Jim's point of view•

"What the heck is Mitosis?" I mumble as I stare down at my computer.

We're only ten minutes into biology and I'm already confused.
I sigh as I tap my pencil against the table and wait for the teacher to finish writing something down on the board.

"Alright class. Thank you for taking the time to look through your Biology text books. I only have one thing planned for today and it does not require your computers so please put those back in your bags," The teacher says as she stands behind her desk.

I quickly put away my laptop.

"Now, normally I would assign you groups but I'm feeling generous today so you may pair up with one person of your choice to start today's intro lab. Please get up and sit next to your partner," She says as she pushes her glasses up on her face.

I look around the room and spot Sparrow. I'm glad we have the same science class because I don't know anyone else in the room.
I notice Sparrow's nervous demeanor as she packs up her things.
I sling my bag over my shoulder and walk towards her desk.

"Hey," I smile as I stand in front of her.

"Hi," She grins up at me.

"Mind if I join you?" I question.

She shakes her head and moves over so I can sit down next to her.
I leave my bag on the floor by the legs of the desk and sit down next to her.

"You okay?" I ask as I watch her brush her hair over her eyes.

She looks over at me and grins a little but I can tell it's fake and forced.

"I'm great," she lies.

I nod my head. I won't pressure her into telling me what's wrong, especially since we just met.

She crosses her legs and we both look over at the board as the teacher begins drawing out a diagram on the board.

"Okay, today's intros lab should be a recap of what you learned last year," The teacher says as she scribbles on the board.

I feel my heart beat increase. I barely remember what we did last year.

"So who remembers what this part of the atom is called?" Mrs. Franklin asks.

I stare at the whiteboard as I tap my foot nervously. I hope she doesn't call on me.

"Yes, Sparrow," She says as she points at her.

I feel myself relax a little.

"The nucleus," Sparrow answers.

"Yup. This is the nucleus of an atom. In elementary school you probably learned that the nucleus is made up of protons and neutrons," Mrs. Franklin adds.

I look over at Sparrow and she smiles at me as she taps her fingers on her computer.

"Good job," I grin.

"Thanks," Sparrow chuckles as she pushes her hair out of her face.

Our biology teacher explains what our lab is and I pay close attention, that way I don't have to ask Sparrow too many questions.
Mrs. Franklin passes big posters down the rows of tables.
When we get ours I grab the corners and place the large poster paper down in the center of the table.

"Alright, are you ready?" Sparrow asks as she pulls out some markers.

I nod and she hands a marker to me.