♡35♡

The next morning, Tanner and I accidentally oversleep following the Halloween party last night, which means we have to rush out of his Fraternity house in order to make it to the airport in time for our flight back to DC.

We're both feeling the effects from our alcohol-fueled night, and while Tanner is opting to sleep his hangover off for the flight, I'm wide awake with a splitting migraine and anxiety from being thousands of miles in the air.

It's not exactly how I was imagining spending our five hours together away from everyone, but it sure is comfy to rest against his chest that rises and falls at a pleasant rhythm as I look out of the window, watching the sky below.

We have less than forty minutes until we land at the airport, where my parents will be waiting to pick us up. I tried to convince them to let Tanner drive home with his parents in order to avoid the potentially awkward questions heading our way on how we became involved, but my mom said it was nonsense to have two separate cars make the same trip.

I close my eyes, trying to get a bit of shut-eye myself, but after fifteen minutes of failing to do so, I give up and decide to read a magazine instead.

After another ten minutes, Tanner sits up in his chair with bed hair and a sleepy expression on his face.

"Nice of you to join the living," I joke as he rubs his tired eyes.

He gives an affectionate smile and then pulls me into his side, nuzzling his nose in my hair. "Mm, you smell of vanilla. Did you get any sleep?"

I sigh solemnly. "Nope. My headache kept me awake. I'll just crash later on after my parents kick you out of the house."

He chuckles at my response and strokes my arm.

"Yeah. It's going to be eventful. Both our families in the same room, gloating at us. At least my sister and her husband will be there. It'll be nice to see how big she's gotten since I've been away."

I smile at the thought of getting to see Maggie and her baby bump.

"Only a couple of months until she has him. You must be getting excited about being an uncle soon."

"Yeah. Still slightly nervous, but I can't wait until the little scamp gets here, and I can teach him my ways."

I elbow Tanner in the side playfully. "Not everything. Remember, you were an asshole before I changed you."

He scoffs. "You changed me? Oh, baby. I think you have that all wrong. I'm still amazing as I was back then. You just didn't want to see it."

I give a soft snort. "Whatever."

A mischievous look crosses Tanner's face, and before I have time to move, he begins to tickle my ribs, causing me to squirm and squeal loudly so that everyone on the plane can hear us.

"T-Tanner s-stop!" I squeal during my fit of uncontrollable giggles in reaction to his tickling.

After a few more seconds, he relents and lets go of me.

"I'm gonna go for a walk; my back is killing me from sitting in the same position for too long," Tanner tells me.

"Okay."

When he gets out of his seat, he gives me a peck on the lips before exiting the aisle. I rest my head against the leather seat and think only of Tanner. I can't wait to have a week off with him in our hometown, going on dates and spending time together relaxing. These last couple of months have been amazing with him and I've been thinking about our relationship for some time now and I finally feel ready to take things a step further with him. I can't imagine sharing this special part of myself with anyone else, and I feel comfortable at the thought of having him own me completely, body and soul.