♡11♡

When Wednesday hits, the weather is so nice that most of the Berkeley population has taken to sitting outside on the grass in-between classes. Unfortunately for Ben, he's missing out on this as he has a dentist appointment, but Zara has found some free time in her busy schedule to join me and is lying on her back, soaking up the vitamin D.

While she does this, I sit crossed legged next to her and read the assigned chapter for my abnormal psychology class and take notes in my notepad as I go. I'm in the middle of reading a case study on a woman who suffers with schizophrenia when a pair of large hands creep up behind me and slam my textbook shut.

"What the hell?!"

I look up to see the culprit and find a grinning Tanner looking back down at me. "Only you would have your nose in a book instead of enjoying this warm afternoon."

I slide the book off my lap and pout. "I was enjoying the sun too, you dumbass."

"Well, now you can enjoy it completely," he retorts as he takes the empty spot next to me.

I quickly notice that Tanner isn't alone and is joined by a guy who is just as tall as him and has a thick head of dirty-blond hair. Why does his face look so familiar?

My question is answered when a squealing Zara jumps into his lap and kisses him passionately. They're so consumed with each other that I don't know where to look.

I turn to Tanner, and it seems he's feeling the same as he rolls his eyes and mimes the word "gross". I stifle on a giggle and bite down on my lip to prevent it from escaping.

After a couple of minutes, Zara gets a grip of herself and extracts herself from her boyfriend's lap and introduces us.

"Leah, this is Jake, my one and only boyfriend." She then turns her head to Jake. "Jake, this is Leah, my roommate, and new BFF."

Jake extends his hand and a smile flashes across his face. "Nice to meet you, Leah. Zara's told me a lot about you."

"Likewise," I respond, upbeat.

"I see you already know my man, Tanner. He kept you pretty quiet. I didn't even know you knew each other until Saturday."

Tanner rolls his eyes again and leans back on the grass with his arms. "I told you, man. I didn't know these two were roommates. And Leah and I are only now becoming BFFs. Isn't that true, Le-Le?"

Now it's my turn to roll my eyes. "I wouldn't go that far. We're testing the waters to see if we can get along with each other."

Jake's eyes light up in amusement. "Oh yeah? And how's it going so far?"

I shrug. "Not as bad I thought it would be, but he's got a long way to go to get in my good books."

"Very funny," Tanner mutters as he closes his eyes and tilts his head back up to the sun.

I watch as his black hair flops back from his forehead as gravity takes control and notice that the sunlight makes it look nice and glossy. As I inspect Tanner more, I realize that he is dressed more like his usual self today. A dark blue Lacoste polo T-shirt, black jeans and a pair of Nike sneakers to match. When I see the Emporio Armani watch on his wrist, I shake my head.

Zara catches me looking at Tanner, and she gives me her all-knowing smile. "I love your dress, Leah. Isn't it nice, Tanner?"

Oh my God. I am going to kill her!

Tanner shrugs his shoulders and keeps his eyes closed. "Can't say I've noticed."

I can tell she's about to push it further, so I speak before she does and turn the conversation to Jake's new tattoo that Zara told me he got. Instead of telling me what it is, he pulls the back of his T-shirt up and exposes his right shoulder where there's a tattoo of a panther emerging from ripped skin. I'm impressed with the design, as I know Zara drew it. "Nice. What made you get it?" I ask.