♡44♡

Thankfully, the next day is the fourth Thursday of November, making it Thanksgiving. Because of this, there is no college and zero chances of running into Chloe. I end up spending the four-day break with Tanner at his place as Zara, Jake, and Ben head home to celebrate the holiday with their families. I'm able to relax a bit and enjoy my first festive holiday with him, along with Tanner's remaining fraternity brothers who were unable to go home too. Despite it being a busy house, I find myself having fun and build closer friendships with the guys.

Though when Monday comes around and we head back to college for our last two weeks of classes and examinations before Christmas break, Tanner becomes fiercely protective of me. Maybe even a little too protective.

I understand why he went to the dean about Chloe harassing us, because then it can go on her record in case she tries anything else, but I don't get why he refuses to let me walk around the campus alone.

I've told him gently a few times that I'll be perfectly fine walking by myself, but even after my reassurances, he still worries. I think this is partly a result of what has just happened with Shawn, and he's trying to prevent me from getting hurt any further.

Even though I fear that Tanner is taking too much on and should focus more on his studying and training than me, a part of me is grateful to have him so close. It's kind of ironic how only a week ago he was physically distant from me, and now he's more loving than ever. He kisses every worry away and can barely keep his hands off me when we're alone. Selfishly, I sometimes hate the day that this will end.

Zara and Ben have also taken her warning seriously and stick with me when we're on campus as much as they can when Tanner's not around. I told them it isn't necessary for them to do this and to ignore Tanner's request, yet they agree with his extremities. So, either they're all overreacting, or I'm not reacting enough.

After sticking with me after our last class ends for the term, Ben and I go to a nearby café to grab some food before we head to the Oakland arena to watch Tanner's team play against Oregon.

So far, they've only lost one game out of three, which is good. However, Tanner's told me that the Oregon team are hard to beat and that they won the match last year when he played.

When we sit down at the table, I suggest texting Zara to see if she wants to join us, but Ben stops me and takes my phone out of my hands, and places it on the table.

"I texted her on the way here. She said she's busy."

I tilt my head to the side. I've been with Ben since our last class, and I never saw him use his phone. Not even once. "Okay," I say unconvincingly.

Why wouldn't Ben want Zara to join us? They haven't fallen out, have they? Ben pops his neck nervously and then picks up his burger and takes a huge bite out of it.

I question if he's done this so he can't answer any follow-up questions, but then shake my head, thinking how absurd I'm sounding. Why would Ben possibly lie to me about that? I let go of this thought and enjoy the rest of my meal with him.

When Ben heads to the restroom after he finishes eating, I type a message out on my phone to Zara to let her know we're ready to head to the game.

Me: Me and Ben are about to head to the arena. Where do you want us to pick you up?

Three small dots appear on my phone and a message soon follows.

Zara: Don't worry about giving me a lift there. I'm with Jake and he said he'll drive us.

Hmm. Maybe that's why Zara was busy. Because she was having some alone time with him.

Me: Okay. We'll see you there.