Chapter Fifteen: A Fire Within

Diaval's POV

As Maleficent had turned me into my original form...specifically a raven...all I could do was caw.

For several minutes I attempted to scrape human words from memory but they were leaving me too fast to retrieve...trying to pull human words from a tongue that could not cipher such code...

I was a creature who could no longer speak the same words as Mistress did.

So....

I didn't try any longer as I stood on a branch that belonged to a small oak tree.

All I could do was watch.

All I could do was be a motionless bystander who could only watch.

I felt quite useless for Maleficent right now.

And for once, agitated toward her.

I told her I wished to protect her...

I told her...and yet she was only showing how weak I was to protect her...

Turning me into this bird form I use to call myself...

But because of her....

Because of my Mistress...

I was starting to misplace my sense of being... I was stuck between two worlds of who I truly was.

A man...or a Raven...

And as I thought these thoughts...a commotion began to stir.

That was...Maleficent was about to kill Borra.

I knew she wouldn't care...I knew if she had a chance to kill him she wouldn't hesitate to end him...and she'd have no remorse toward him...

So even though I had been on her side, I...

I still didn't wish for Borra to be beaten to death by her. Even if he had done that same action toward me...I didn't want that to weigh on her mind.

I didn't want her to regret anything...I didn't want her to suffer, not even of the consequences.

And besides...as for Borra...

I could see the pain in his eyes.

Every word Mistress spoke to him, as I would have imagined, would be no closer than a arrow piercing his heart.

An inevitable pain.

Words he could not escape filled his heart as he held back...

And after a short while, he could hold back no longer.

——

As the conversation became to be aggression between the two, I wanted to keep Mistress away from him.

And as if by pure coincidence, Mistress had turned me back into a man.

And I kindly turned to Borra, advising him to step away from her in my own way.

But he did not heed my warning.

Instead, he made contact with my face with his fist.

I knew Maleficent's mercy was hanging by a thread for him then.

I knew she began to hate him more than anything and even more than anyone...but I still wanted mercy for him.