Chapter Six: Silent Tears

Maleficent's POV

It was true...I was afraid...worried...and scared...even fearing the thought of being loved and loving again.

My wings were already plucked from my back once, freedom taken from me when I least expected it.

I did not wish for that to happen a second time.

But it was also true...that Aurora had stolen what was left of my heart.

And oddly enough that other part of my heart, broken by Stefan...well it was starting to surface.

It was the pain that was loosening. All the pent of rage and damage I had been holding onto from him.

I feared that nothing good was going to come from what was about to happen.

That is...if I stayed.

And right when my wings expanded to take flight from the nest Diaval stopped me.

For a brief moment I felt as if he wished for me to stay.

I could not.

I was not.

"Are you alright Mistress?" This question...asked by the raven-man, Diaval...my trusted servant and my dearest friend...

His question lingered in my mind for quite a bit.

But I toke off, caring not to answer a question he already knew the answer to.

I was not alright...and far from it I was.

My wings carried me out of the cave and onto the open beach as waves splashed violently against some parts of the cave's exterior.

The tears I once mustered great strength to hold...for the first time, since I could last recall...

My tears were no longer imprisoned by pride or strength.

I did manage to shed a few tears with Diaval a short while ago but it was nothing compared to now.

——————

I sat, secluded from all.

I could not even remember the last time I had been in tears like this.

Silently I sat, looking into the abyss.

As much as it discomforted me to appear this weak I couldn't resist any longer.

I did not wish for myself to to be succumbed and engulfed by the girl I once was.

I thought I could keep her away...but the fragile and distressed girl from then had appeared just as I had feared.

Strangely enough, I felt relieved to finally let it all out...even if Diaval was not here to comfort me.

Even though a small fraction of me dreamed he could.

Diaval.

The man-like raven who was starting to play with my heart.

Does he not notice...does he ever notice?

How sweet and caring he was to someone like me...who had always been seen as the nightmare of children's dreams.

I was seen as a monster and a witch to humans of all.

I was never seen as anything good...and yet the raven i had saved so long ago saw goodness in me...even if i was never to reach a sort of 'perfect', he would say I was nonetheless.

Did he truly love me? How could he. Even if he did our relationship would be an odd one would it not?

Diaval...he was the one causing this type of feeling upon me.

He was getting too close to me and I could not escape.

I could not run from what my heart was secretly yearning and wishing for.

A deep tug pulled on my chest. Almost as if I could not breath.

How deeply he cared for me.

Why, I was nothing good.

And yet I could hear his words..."you are good, surely you're not evil like they believe", he'd say.

I knew, if he'd say this he would give me a smile, he would try to lighten my spirits.

I knew him all too well. My heart knew him...all too well.

If he'd have the slightest clue of what conflict I had with myself...he'd probably tell me that I had held back long enough.

Maybe even too long...because I was forgetting...and maybe have already failed to remember what love really was with a significant other.

Diaval.

He would want to be that significant other if my feelings were right.

If he truly did fancy me. He would've wished to.

I closed my eyes.

Exhaling, inhaling.

Repeating.

Until my thoughts became as clouds, calm and steady.

My eyes opened softly.

The smell of salt water filled my lungs. The ocean was quite the sight to see.

But nothing compared to the storm inside of me.

A storm in which I no longer wanted to deal with. But I knew I had to endure, at least a little while longer.

Time had past on.

Dark engulfed the pastel scene of a sunset with shinning stars and a jet black sky.

The scene of such blackness...by some means..toke me back to when I had nearly been slaughtered by the man I had once loved.

I could not bring myself to slay him just as he was, with no hesitation, trying to do to me.

He still meant something to me...yet he was far from saving, having his death pay the price of his foolishness and greed.

He no longer had a heart.

And it was true that he, indeed, did rob and strip me of my wings.

And of course I did get them back with the help of dear Aurora.

But, like always, the memories made me tremble and made me feel as though I was slipping into a type of coldness.

A darkness that had swelled deep inside me.

I was becoming afraid of it.

Afraid I'd never love again from the deep scares.

My mind drifted swiftly between thought, back and forth between the thoughts of Diaval.

Would he reject me? And fearing that maybe Diaval would reject me.

I don't know why he would but I did fear he somehow would.

But if he did not how would it all come about? What would happen?

It was such a sharpness even my mind felt as if it were to burst into pieces along with my heart.

My mind swirled uncomfortably with such negative thoughts.

With hope, reassuring and warm thoughts revealed themselves.

Diaval had been my wings for some time and maybe even always.

My warmth he was and my heart he was starting to take.

How could I contradict his ways for me. He wouldn't shoot me down, he was too kind for that. Was he not?

I was undoubtably coming to a cross with what I truly wanted.

I knew, for a fact, that above all I needed to save and keep Aurora safe, but after that?

I was not so easily sure.

What would I do?

I pulled my legs to my chest, resting my head to look out into the ocean.