Chapter Thirteen: Kiss of The Heart

Diaval's POV

As the night rolled on morning appeared out of the clouds, glistening through the small gaps in the nest both Mistress as I were in.

When I opened my eyes a few times I had noticed she was laying beside me...I got a bit flustered but decided to stay where I was so I wouldn't stir her.

For a moment, even if just for a moment...

I adored her beauty as she breathed softly in my face.

The small honey-colored sunbeams scattered across her face as well as my own.

Birds chirped outside as the rushing water of a nearby stream was heard from my ears.

As much as I wanted to freeze this moment...I knew all moments had to come to an end...eventually.

I knew after she'd wake up I'd have to keep from staring at her too often in which I often did when she was fast asleep.

And having the thought of being able to watch over her (knowing as long as I was by her that she could rest peaceful) as she slept gave me a strength, a type of reassurance that I could protect her in my own way.

Without warning her eyes fluttered open.

Dang it. She caught me off guard.

My hand immediately went to my face to bury away my expression.

But even though I was blushing like a sheep, I couldn't look away from her.

Her golden eyes were practically sparkling.

"Diaval." Her sweet-soft voice called to me.

I honestly didn't know what she was going to say, so I stayed quiet.

Her hand was placed on the side of my face as her face neared me.

This couldn't be real...as much as I've wished for such a thing, I didn't deserve it...it must've been her fever.

Her fever, that was it. I'm sure of it...it had to be.

But I knew better, it wasn't her fever alone but I was too afraid to face her and my hand acted on its own, my fear...acted on its own.

I stopped her even though I didn't wish for this side of her to cease.

"You must rest and lie down, you're still a little warm. And...you wouldn't want to do anything...you'll regret while still being ill."

Maleficent's POV

'Anything I'll regret?'

His words were hardly tolerable.

What jokes was he trying to pull? When I'm being completely sincere about this.

"You're making fun of me."

"It would be too daring to act upon. I do not wish to ever tease you." His face turned from me as he sat up.

I was beginning to feel frustrated and dispirited by him.

"Look at me." He did not turn my way, let alone heed my words.

Was this only what I wanted? Why was he being so troublesome?

Why was he making me feel so bent out of shape right now.

"Diaval." I warned, grabbing the edge of his dark shirt in my hand for him to look at me.

And I didn't let go, wishing he'd turn my way.

To acknowledge me. To see the desperate need of an answer from him. To why he went so far to reach my heart...to why he stopped here, why?