Bram - Age 16: Edgy

Bram found himself pacing as he waited for Lucinda to bring Asher back. 

It'd been three hours. What was taking so long? 

He felt rage bubbling under the surface, eating at his gut, making his breath quicken and his skin feel too tight. He felt edgy, out of control. He needed his friend. He needed to spar. 

Mom and Dad were busy rescuing people, Ishka and Kirg weren't interested in sparring, and Rome was in Arreous trying to find Alorik and Destiny.  And Celeste and Dimitiri were probably just sitting in a dark corner somewhere staring at each other in that creepy way they did when they talked without words. 

There was nobody else he could spar with today. 

Maybe he should go for a run? Lucinda used to make Asher do that a lot. 

Yeah, he'd go for a run. 

Bram's feet were moving as soon as the thought settled, spurring him with lightning fast steps through the forest around their home, back and forth, circling, zigzagging for miles and miles until his legs gave out and his body gasped for air. 

He fell, collapsing on the pine needle-covered ground, sucking in foggy breaths of air as quickly as his greedy lungs could force it in.  

And, he did feel some better. Not as good as when he could punch something, but it had relieved some of the pressure in his body, his mind. 

He really hoped Dad got him a heavy duty punching bag for Christmas. He already knew where to hang it in the barn. And unlike when he sparred with Asher and the rest of his family, he wouldn't have to hold back. He'd be able to imagine the burning red eyes, the hateful voice, and he'd be able to pretend it was her he was pummeling. Dark Lady. The demon that still haunted his dreams even though Dad had killed her years ago. 

She had taken everything from him. His youth, his innocence, his sense of self. But she was dead now. And he was stronger--strong enough to make sure nobody could ever dominate him again.

The sound of crunching leaves caught his attention, and he stood up, still panting and looking around. 

Like a clap of thunder, a body drove into his, forcing him to the ground in a tumble of arms and legs. 

Fear threatened to consume him before anger overpowered it. 

With a roar, Bram threw the body off him and jumped up, tensed and ready to fight. Whoever had attacked him--

Was laughing. 

"Dude, you suck," Asher gasped, wheezing and still laughing, hands braced on his knees. "I was watching you for like five minutes and you didn't even notice." 

Bram felt a blush rising to his cheeks, and he said indignantly, "I did too. I just acted surprised, that's all." 

"Uh huh, sure," Asher grinned and quirked a brow, calling bullshit on him without saying  a word. 

Bram sighed, shrugging, "Fine, dickweed, you got me. Happy?" 

"Thrilled," Asher grinned. Then, "What are you doing out here anyway? It took me forever to find you. I probably looked like a damn bloodhound smelling the ground." 

"I needed to burn some energy," Bram answered honestly. "It was getting to be too much." 

Asher's grin faded, "Sorry I wasn't here..." 

Bram brushed that off, "Nah, I understand. How was counseling with Jackass today? Anything good happen?" 

Asher rolled his eyes, "Yes, actually. Jackie helped me realize it wasn't my fault."