━ 𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙩𝙝𝙧𝙚𝙚; 𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙨 𝙨𝙘𝙝𝙤𝙤𝙡 𝙨𝙪𝙘𝙠𝙨

MIGUEL HAD BEEN so focused on trying to get Ali to fall for Daniel, that the thought of attending school hadn't crossed his mind. He hadn't even thought to think that far ahead. The next morning at breakfast, when Ali's mother asked Miguel if he was ready to go back to school, Miguel didn't know what to say. He had been too busy with Ali and Daniel that he hadn't even had the chance to figure out what he was going to do after the weekend was over. At some point, he was going to have to explain that his mother and grandmother weren't going to come back. Miguel had no idea where he was going to go. He couldn't just stay in Ali's guest room forever. It just didn't seem right, but it was his only option. Miguel wasn't sure how, but he was going to have to think of an explanation quick because Ali's parents were starting to ask questions. How could he explain that he wasn't actually from the eighties and came from the future? He couldn't. There was no logical way to explain it.

The questioning just wouldn't stop. Miguel hadn't even had the chance to respond to one question before another one was being asked. When was his mom coming back? How much longer would he need to stay with them? Was he a good student? Does he enjoy school? So many different questions that Miguel couldn't even begin to answer, but he knew he had to. He racked his brain trying to think of something—anything—that could offer some sort of explanation. Think, Miguel, think, he thought to himself.

"Actually, my mom called me last night," Miguel finally said. "It turns out her trip might take longer than she thought."

"How much longer?" Ali asked, yet again sitting far too close to him for comfort.

"She doesn't know yet," Miguel responded. "It could be weeks...maybe months. She has a lot of work to do. You know, medical stuff and whatever. I'm not exactly sure and my grandma—she's uh...extending her trip. She's enjoying her vacation far too much to want to leave."

Ali's parents exchanged looks with each other before Ali's mom spoke. "Well, you're more than welcome to stay here if you need to."

"Are you sure?" Miguel asked, trying not to sound like it was a bad thing. "Because I'm sure I could find somewhere else to stay or maybe..."

"No, no," Ali's mom said. "Don't even worry, dear. It's quite all right."

Miguel just nodded and continued to eat his breakfast before remembering the school issue. He still had to figure out a way to explain that.

"Oh, and uh...we just moved here not that long ago—before summer started," Miguel responded. "My mom didn't really get the chance to register me for school. She's been really busy. I probably should have mentioned that before."

"Well, maybe we could go talk to the school and see what we can do," Ali's father said. "Do you know where your birth certificate is?"

Miguel shook his head. "No..."

"That might be a problem," Ali's mother said. "We'll work it out though, don't worry."

Miguel nodded before thanking them and continuing to eat. About thirty minutes later, Miguel sat next to Ali in the back of her dad's car on the way to school. Again, she sat far too close to him and Miguel had to ask her a few times to scoot over. It only seemed like her crush on him got bigger and bigger with every passing second and there was nothing Miguel could do to stop it. The worst part was, her parents didn't even seem to notice. Miguel wished that they would, but they didn't.

When they arrived at school, Ali ran up to her friends and immediately started talking to them while Miguel followed Ali's parents to the front office. Miguel was almost certain that there was no way he was going to be able to get registered for school without the proper documents or any actual proof of living in the eighties, but somehow, Ali's parents had done it. They had actually managed to register him for school. It had been a hassle, but Ali's mom wouldn't back down until it was done. Miguel thought it was like something straight out of a movie and made no sense whatsoever, but he didn't question it. Nothing about the past few days was making sense. Why would this be any different?