Chapter 6: Saturn and Spice

When Dathid says it's the Salt Mines, my world makes sense again, and all my discomfort goes away. But as soon as Gurador speaks, my nausea comes back with a whole new sense of dread. Why would the Orb show me a place that doesn't exist?

"No," Sarpedon says. "They are real. Carefully guarded by the chimnockies."

Dathid tries to laugh, but it hurts so he quits. "The chimnockies? Really?"

"Why's that funny?" I ask but am ignored.

"The chimnockies guard something?" Dathid continues.

"Yes," Sarpedon says. "It is fortunate that you have met them before, Prince Dathid. You will know the way."

Dathid doesn't seem convinced. "I went to the chimnocki village. There were no Salt Mines. Are you sure about chimnockies? I know them well, and I can't believe they'll lead us to anything."

"Don't let their demeanor fool you," Sarpedon insists. "They know their fortune. Make them help you, for they are the only ones who know the way into the Salt Mines."

Everyone is silent and on edge. There's something they're not telling me about these Salt Mines.

After a moment, Jonah breaks the tension. "Well, let's get ready. We'll leave tomorrow."

"Are we informing the council?" Dathid asks.

Sarpedon shakes his head. "No, we tell no one. The council will know something was discovered when you leave. They will not ask questions."

They get weirdly silent again because they're having a wordless argument—Dathid's doubtful and Jonah's concerned. Master Sarpedon always appears the same to me, but I'm sure he's winning whatever debate they're having. They're definitely keeping something from me, and I'm for sure not asking what it is. Anytime information is withheld, it's because something awful lies ahead, and I don't want to know what it is.

Jonah makes for the door. I grab the Orb off its stand and follow him out. He gives me some quick instructions and then walks off with Dathid. I'm not sure they know I'm behind them because they're speaking in Dathid's language, Gàidhlig. They usually don't do that when I'm around. When they turn down the corridor leading away from my chambers I know they don't know I'm here. I continue on to my room wishing I'd asked why there's tension.

Albína's already packing. How could she have found out so fast?

"They didn't say what to bring," she says with a scowl. "They dropped off the bag and told me to pack light."

"I'm not allowed to tell you where I'm going, but I won't need much. I have to wear the armor the whole time, so some comfortable clothes to go underneath should be fine," I say, trying to ease the fear I can read on her face.

"Well, this is hardly enough notice. I should have had you remeasured. These are not appropriate traveling clothes. They should have given you a trunk. This bag won't hold much." She continues complaining until Jonah knocks on the door.

"I need to go over some things with you," he says and then looks at Albína.

She takes the cue and leaves the room without a word while he spreads out a map. This is the first time I've seen a map of Ashra, and it's considerably different from Earth.

"Are Ashra and Earth the same size?"

He flattens the map. "No. Ashra is a little bigger than Saturn."

"Was that supposed to tell me something?"

"Yes. Study your science."

"Funny. How big is Saturn?"