Chapter 26: Unknow What I Know, But No

Mapta's gentle tapping on the glass door wakes me from a deep sleep. I forgot how nice it is to nap with Lenox. He lets out a groan but doesn't move when I get up.

As soon as I walk in, she holds up a gorgeous designer dress. It's short and sleeveless, and white, and I get to wear it. This dress must cost more than the apartment in Queens. My heart is beating so fast, I can't remember a time when I was this excited.

A pang of guilt threatens my mood, but I push it down when Mapta shows me the jewelry. The elves love precious stones. I've seen amazing rocks decorate everything from dresses to flatware, but none of it was for me. In the box is a silver chain with a single diamond, shaped like an apple with the leaves and stem made of smaller diamonds. I grab my new stuff and bounce into the bathroom. I have to wash up again because I was sleeping with a smelly pegasus, and I don't want to mess up my new dress.

When I'm done, Mapta is waiting by the vanity. She motions for me to sit and styles my hair. The guilty pang comes back. Albína has to be worried about me.

I wish there was a way for me to let her know that I'm alright. I want her to see my pretty dress. She hasn't seen me in a dress since the party when I arrived. This one is much flashier. Albína would like it, even if it's plain by elf standards.

Mapta curls my hair and puts some makeup on me. I've never worn makeup before, but maybe I should start. I look good. I wish Dathid were here.

"Goot," Mapta says with a genuine smile.

"Very good," I nod back.

Stratagor Ziras stands when I enter the dining room. "You couldn't possibly be the same girl from this morning. The one with the pet pegasus?"

When I realize I'm blushing, I blush harder. I put my head down and hope he doesn't notice as I jump into my seat.

Once his napkin is perfectly in his lap, he smiles at me. "You look very nice."

I mumble a thank-you. I should hate him for killing my parents, but I'm not sure he did. At least not directly. Maybe something went wrong, and the soldiers killed them by accident or out of necessity.

I catch myself staring out the window. The clouds are grey and overcast. Not too dark but ashy, almost the same cinereous grey of the pigeons back home. There's no break to let in any of the sunlight hiding behind them.

"Do you miss the sun?" I ask before I think.

"Sometimes. But I love the ocean and this house. If I need some sunshine, I know where to find it."

Dinner arrives. It's fried chicken, mashed potatoes and biscuits. It smells good. I'd forgotten this smell. It makes me long for New York.

He picks up a leg and takes a bite. It's funny that such a meticulous man would eat with his fingers. I'm nervous about getting grease on my clothes, but the chicken is good, so I soon forget about the dress.

It doesn't take long for me to get full, which means it's time for me to start asking some of the questions that have been pummeling my brain. Without warning, I start. "How did the humans close the portals? Why didn't they just put soldiers near the opening instead? What is this key, and how does it work? Who made the Orb? How did you almost open them, and who stopped you?"

He wipes his mouth and takes a sip of wine. He slowly puts the glass down and smiles. "I'll start with the last one first and work my way back, if that's alright with you?"

I nod.

"A woman. Her name was Jilana. She betrayed me. I'm not sure who made the Orb, and I don't know how it works. It seems to only work for you. Humans did put soldiers by the portals, called them Knights Templar. They failed to control the curra and plunged Earth into the Dark Ages. Does that answer them all, or did I forget a few?"