Chapter 22: Permission!

Jai's POV:

I remember when I went to Maira's father to ask for her hand. I should not have taken any impulsive decision that night, but I don't regret it. I mean I know I don't love love Maira yet, but I like her way too much. The reason for why I like her is unknown even to me. She is not your conventional girly girl who lets you stomp all over her or is always sweet. She is a thunderstorm who comes whooshing in your life but then settles with soft rain and petrichor, providing you the freshness which you never want to fade away.

Last time my method wasn't right so this time I decided to do what's conventionally right and hopefully in her dictionary too. I went to her dad and let's just say Maira is his daughter only, forsure. The way he assessed me made me feel some random hooligan who has attempted some crime rather than a reputed person wanting to marry his daughter.

******************

Flashback:

I have been asked to wait in this room. The decision to come here was an impromptu but a calculated one. I might not have been really conventional in my approach when I declared Maira as my fiancee but I need to do the right thing and ask her dad for his permission.

I hear the door open and I see a man with a strict aura enter the room. He looks like a king entering and taking his place on the throne. I was lost so as to how to begin the conversation.

"If you have something to say you should say it before I get you out of here." The aura of this person is such that any person would be intimidated. The wrinkled calculative eyes, literally penetrating your soul trying to look what is it you want. I feel as if Lucifer is asking me what is it that I desire. The only difference is there people are hypnotized to speak but here I fear speaking. I am afraid what he'll do once he hears my purpose of visit.

I clear my throat. "Sir, you see your daughter is working for me..."

"She doesn't work for anyone; she works for herself. You are just her client not her employer... continue."

"Yeah... umm that's what I meant. I didn't mean to offend you by saying that."

"So, I wanted to ask your permission to marry her." Thud!

He banged his table before standing up. I can see where Maira got her short temperament and attitude from.

"Why do you think I will do that? May I know who you even are thinking I will get my daughter married to you or you can just waltz in and ask me to marry my daughter to you?"

"Sir, I know that you wouldn't agree getting your daughter married to some random stranger, but I can assure you that I will look after he..."

I was interrupted by a phone call. I looked at him and see him contemplating whether to pick it up or not. He picks up the call.

"Yes?"

"What!!" He growls on the phone and I feel bad for the person on the other side.

"Why didn't you inform me yesterday itself?"

"I don't give a damn. It better not be seen on tabloids or anywhere or else someone is soon gonna face my wrath. Who is the guy again? He better be behind the bars and I need all the details on him in an hour." He bangs the phone on the desk with such energy that I fear that the phone is definitely broken. From his furious expression I can tell he knows about last night, but I dare not ask him.

"What is your name again and who are you?"

"Sir, umm my name is Jai Singh Rathore, and I am Prince of Ajmer and CEO of Royal Regal Company. I am Maira's client, and she is..."