Chapter 31: The Day of the Engagement

Jai's POV:

I can see how she struggled to tell me about her reasons for marriage as a concept and after knowing them, I can say that she is right on her place and even her conditions make more sense now. I want to say something to her, soothe her but I cannot. So, I decided to let it go for the time being.

I stop the car and move towards Maira to open her door. I can see a reluctance in her eyes but she doesn't say anything and get out of the car.

"So, have I scared you so much with my sappy story that instead of breaking off this engaged, you are just gonna throw me off the cliff?" I can sense the uneasiness and an attempt to change the atmosphere but it doesn't really help.

"Maira, why do you always keep talking about breaking off this alliance? What can I do to make you realise that no matter what I am here to stay, I will not leave you unless you want me to, even then I will put up a fight."

"It's easier said than done, Prince. You don't know what a messed up girl you have selected for yourself."

"Well, every person is a screwed up mess, it's just the willingness to share to clean up the mess that matters and I am willing to help you clear that mess."

"What if this mess is who I am and I don't want it to get cleared?"

"I don't have an OCD, so I don't mind staying in this mess with you forever if you allow me to."

"Think about it once again, you have one month before you are forever made a part of my messed up life."

"I don't need even a second to think about this because I know I want you, with or without your mess."

"Are you sure?"

"I am very sure. So sure that if you want I can marry you right now in this moment and I know I will not regret it." Maira turns to me shocked but I look at her with the same intensity to tell her how serious I am.

"Can I ask you a question?"

"You may ask me as many as you want." I reply gently.

"Why me?" The two small letters in this moment seem to hold so much intensity that I know I have to tread with this carefully.

"I don't know honestly. There's just something in the way you carry yourself, and talk that just draws me in. I like how you don't die for my attention, how you know the art of showing people their place-"

"Basically you like me being sarcastic, rude and arrogant person who doesn't care for other's feelings before showing them the mirror."

"Well, you are twisting my words right there. There is a big difference in being a rude and arrogant person showing others their place and being straightforward but coming off as a rude and arrogant person, not putting up with others' bullshit and then showing them a mirror to put them in place."

"You do realise it's one and the same thing it's just the way you presented your argument that made a difference."

"There's was a difference there, right?. That's all. I chose you because I know you won't unnecessarily be rude to anyone, you are so strong that I can rely on you for anything, I might not be able to read you or know you too well, but I like that bubbly side of your that you don't often show to everyone. I want to be able to look at it all and embrace it as well."

"What if there is a dark side inside me as well, full of demons?"

"Tell your demons to give me a secluded corner in the dark and there I will reside, pulling you inside my heart, where there is only light and face all your demons for you." I can see that she is tongue tied at the moment and instead of teasing her, I let it sink in her that I won't leave her.