Chapter 40: Sassy Mornings

Jai's POV:
I proceed towards my room where Maira, my wife is waiting for me. I enter the room, locking the door behind and make my way towards the bed where Maira is sitting. I can see her fumbling her fingers, the awkwardness in the room not hidden. I remove the veil from over her face and look at her bewitching face. She raises her brown eyes to meet my dark ones.

I take out the small box from inside my coat which I have been carrying since morning but couldn't give it to her. I place the box in her hand and look up to see her giving me a confused look.

"This is your gift for juta chuppai (ritual of hiding the groom's shoes)."

"But I didn't ask anything."

"Exactly! Why didn't you?" I asked her still confused.

"Umm...Maybe because the ritual is not supposed to be done by brides?" She says in a sarcastic duh tone.

"Well, it isn't supposed to be done by groom's brother as well, but Armaan got what he wanted, right?"

"Ehhh... I was just helping him and let's just say... it was the last prank I pulled on you." I see a soft smiling breaking onto her face.

"Oh, really? What about the one you pulled this morning?"

"Which one?"

"The one where you embarrassed me infront of my entire family by pulling your hand out while finding the ring."

"Haww... That was not a prank, you held my hand and I don't like losing, so, obviously I had to something."

"And you couldn't do anything other than showing our hands to everyone?" She shrugs her shoulders.

"I did what I thought was the only way out."

"Here, I thought it would be so romantic and-"

"Filmy, cheesy and cliched is what it was. Atleast be original for once." She slaps my forehead, the nervousness long gone.

"Ohhh, so this means you won't mind me getting romantic with you as long as I am not cheesy, filmy, or cliched?"

"Maybe, I don't know. First learn to be original before trying to be romantic. Let alone romance even your attempt to flirt was pathetic."

"Well, if you are so experienced than why don't you teach me."

"Nah! For now I am happy being your Sarcasm teacher. I am not so free to be teaching you everything."

"Oh, really?"

"Yes, really."

"Okay, now take this gift."

"No, Jai-"

"Maira, I don't care, you won and so, since Armaan is getting his gift, this is yours."

"But-"

"Oh God woman! Just take it." I say exasperatedly.

She takes the gift mumbling a small thanks and keeps it beside her. I can see the nervousness appearing again and so I remove myself from in front of her. A long yawn escapes her mouth and it results in me yawning. Okay people, I think it's normal for a person to yawn looking at another person yawning. We both let out a small chuckle.

"We both should take rest, we have had some hectic days. I think you should change out of those heavy clothes."

"Yeah." She gets up from bed and stands in front of me. The room is dimly lit with not much visibility but I can see her looking at me.