Familiarity - Part one

Revised 07/05/22

"The Jin clan of Lanling is saluting!"

A deafening silence encased the room as a boy stepped forward, lavishly dressed in dazzling yellow robes the colour of a lustrous gold, his garments adorned heavily with various trinkets, jewellery and embroidered flower patterns. The light-toned blue rug beneath his shoes paled in comparison as he walked his way across it, a confident grin present on his handsome visage. Following closely behind him was a short and stubby youngster, his stature evidently anxious as he held an intricately carved box adorned with golden flakes on the sides, his steps slow and steady as if frightened of bringing harm to such a luxurious item.

From the side, Wei Wuxian's eyes fluttered shut as he inhaled a deep, well-earned breath. His hands, that had been trembling by his sides, clenched into fists, arms still quivering at the sight of such a familiar yet foreign face.

Nobody noticed his episode, however, for they were all focusing on the boy's words instead as he introduced himself. "I'm Jin Zixuan from the Jin clan of Lanling. Here to visit the grandmaster."

"Here's a set of Helo management books, woven with a gold string." From the front of the room, Lan Qiren stroked his goatee in interest before allowing the boy a small nod of appreciation.

Many scoffed at the luxurious gift presented; others simply stood in silence, treading on eggshells as not to offend the young master before them. The other great clans followed suit, each presenting their gift to Lan Qiren, a silent competition between them as to whose gift the grandmaster favoured the most.

It was soon the Jiang Clan's turn, for Jiang Cheng stepped forward to respectfully pay his greetings, "My name Jiang Cheng from the Jiang Clan of Yunmeng—"

"Aiya," A sigh resounded from within the room, the crashing of the doors being slammed open only being an unwelcome accompaniment, "I think that the gate of the Lan Clan is the hardest to enter!"

Wen Chao flashed the gathering a grin of his own as he made his place standing before Lan Xichen and Lan Qiren. "I was in Qishan, punishing some disgusting traitor filth when I heard of your little... party, Clan Leader Lan."

"Young Master Wen, I'm afraid my.. father is still in seclusion, and my uncle has been acting as his proxy for many years-"

"Aw," Wen Chao cooed in faux sympathy, "Daddy still locking himself up after his traitorous wife's scandal?"

From the side, as he gazed into Lan Wangji's eyes, Wei Wuxian saw pure hatred.

"Eh? Madam Lan?" A junior Lan disciple queried. "I heard she passed away when the young masters were children. What does he mean by 'traitorous?' "

"You wouldn't know this, but," A senior Lan replied. "I heard she committed a great betrayal to the Clan Leader, which is why he has secluded himself from the word, forever to be within closed-door cultivation."

"Eh? Whatever did she do?"

"Well, some say that she exposed a secret clan technique, betraying the trust of Qingheng-Jun. Others say that she was framed, and some that she even killed someone from our clan!"

"Shh! Second Young Master might hear you!"

As Lan Xichen's breath stuttered in shock, Lan Qiren was quick to redeem the situation, "The Wen Clan have never attended the lecture of the Lan. Is young master Wen here to relay a message from his excellency?"

"Clan Leader Lan, you are wrong. I'm not here for the lecture, I'm just escorting someone here.. Besides, the Wen Clan teaches others; why would we need your lectures?" He snickered privately to himself before beckoning forward the pair behind him with a nod of his head.