Caution - Part one

Revised 23/12/23

Hi sorry I was studying because Duolingo was holding my family hostage

* * *

"Lan Zhan, answer me this very seriously," said Wei Wuxian. Despite the bustling streets of Caiyi Town, where many people were wandering around near the public stalls, Wei Wuxian still managed to walk backwards without bumping into a single person. "One or two?"

"Wei Ying, be careful," Lan Wangji chided, taking Wei Wuxian's sleeve and turning him around to face the right direction. "Don't walk backwards. You can't see."

"But what am I supposed to do when I can't see your face, Lan Zhan?" Wei Wuxian sobbed, dramatically putting a hand on his heart and looking up at Lan Wangji. "I'm afraid... The second I look away from you, I already miss you. What if you go off and find a nice wife when I'm not watching, hm? Also, one or two?"

"Won't," said Lan Wangji. He sighed, though Wei Wuxian was not at all fazed as he could easily sense the amusement. "One. Why?"

"Ah, why do you have to be so unique, Lan Zhan?!" Wei Wuxian pouted cheekily. "Out of all my years in Yunmeng, I can confidently say that most people say 'two'. Why are you an exception? Now that I think of it, of course handsome Hanguang-Jun goes wherever there is trouble, and he is always the exception to things, but who knew his reputation extended to the scary Yiling Patriarch?"

"Wei Ying is no trouble. What was it for?"

"Uh," Wei Wuxian laughed, and for some reason he couldn't meet Lan Wangji's eyes. "The number of jars of Emperor's Smile I was going to get..."

"Ridiculous," Lan Wangji murmured. Suddenly, he grabbed Wei Wuxian by the hem of his sleeve and gently guided him to a stall that had caught his attention. There were many small butterfly toys on display, and Wei Wuxian's face instantly lit up at the sight.

"Little butterflies!" he whispered, looking up at Lan Wangji. "Lan Zhan, do you remember? These were A-Yuan's favourite! Why don't we buy him one—"

And then his smile seemed to freeze on his face, and he slowly looked down at the floor. Lan Wangji himself was arguably the hardest person to read, as he hid his emotions behind a face of indifference; perhaps that was why he had always been able to sense Wei Wuxian's emotions so easily, and never failed to notice his unease.

"I'll take three," he said to the vendor, who smiled in thanks as they picked them off the display. Lan Wangji nodded before glancing down at Wei Wuxian, who just realised then that Lan Wangji was slightly taller than him.

"One for you," he murmured, handing two to Wei Wuxian. "One for A-Yuan, when we see him again. And one for me."

"Silly Lan Zhan," said Wei Wuxian. Suddenly, he felt extremely bashful, and he was grinning so widely and uncontrollably that whatever he did, he couldn't push it down! Really, when it came to Lan Wangji, why was he always acting like a shy maiden? "Thank you. I will definitely keep it safe."

"Mn," Lan Wangji replied, his lips twitching.

"Ah!" Wei Wuxian yelped, struck as though caught off guard. "I almost forgot! We need to get to the Florist's mansion!"

Meanwhile, in Cloud Recess, Lan Qiren had just returned from his discussion conference and he immediately began to grade some old tests he had given the guest disciples before he made his leave. He had a fresh pot of Chamomile tea prepared by his eldest nephew himself, and was anticipating a relaxing evening, where he won't be disturbed.

However, he would save that for later, because it certainly wasn't in action that moment — two disciples were lingering outside his door, and he could hear them muttering to one another about who should be the one to open it.