New Beginnings - Part two

Revised 24/03/24

(Hiya, sorry for the long wait. I'll aim to update again one week from now, on Easter!)

* * *

Lan Qiren, as it turned out, hadn't forgotten about their little excursion and the subsequent Qi Deviation he was forced to suffer shortly after finding out via heated gossip (which was a rule, he soon found out, that no one apparently followed). He hadn't glanced in Wei Wuxian's direction during the entire lecture, so naturally, Wei Wuxian assumed Lan Qiren didn't know they had come back.

He was wrong.

"Uncle," said Lan Wangji placatingly to Lan Qiren's intense stare. "Wei Ying and I had some important matters to attend to, in fact, I was going to inform you and brother later today."

Lan Qiren looked thoughtful and he started stroking his goatee while gesturing for Lan Wangji to continue.

"Uncle, it seems like a private matter, how about we discuss it elsewhere?" said Lan Xichen quickly.

Wei Wuxian didn't know they were going to even say something, but he nodded anyway because Lan Wangji had no reason to lie. "Exactly, Uncle! If it wasn't important, how could we dare to come back to Cloud Recess and face you?"

"Hmm," said Lan Qiren quietly, and despite his calm tone, he was staring at Wei Wuxian as though he had whipped out a second head. Wei Wuxian glanced behind him and saw Jiang Cheng very, very red in the face, looking equally baffled. Hardening his nerves, he finally looked at Lan Wangji, who was staring at his feet. Due to his indifferent face, one would think he was just being contemplative, however, the redness of his ears gave him away to Wei Wuxian in mere moments!

Just what had he done? Why was everyone so shocked?

Then he thought back to his words and the hand running through his hair paused. Then it dropped entirely.

He had–! He had just called the Old Goat 'Uncle'!! He was so dead!!

"Hahahaha, sorry, sorry, slip of the tongue?" he quickly added.

"Wei Wuxian!" Jiang Wanyin all but screamed, earning himself three identically unimpressed glances. "You– You're really-!"

Lan Xichen didn't appear fazed by this development, but Wei Wuxian could sense the laughter he was suppressing.

"Hahahahaha!" Jin Zixuan snorted. He was so amused that his legs collapsed beneath him and he failed to catch himself on the wall, and he toppled to the floor, forming a heap of gold. "Ahahahahaha!"

"Uh, Jin-Xiong," whispered Nie Huaisang behind his fan. "Stop laughing, Maiden Jiang is here."

It was as though he had been struck by lightning; Jin Zixuan seemed to collect himself at once, and he leapt to his feet before dashing behind the Orchid room, losing himself on the unpaved path. But, as it turned out after witnessing Nie Huaisang's amused face, there was no Jiang Yanli anywhere to be found.

"We should go," said Lan Xichen amicably, gesturing for Lan Qiren to lead the way. "I'm sure whatever news they have to tell us can't wait."

Jiang Wanyin and Nie Huaisang were told to wait in the dorms before the Lantern Festival began and Lan Qiren brought them into the Yashi, where Wei Wuxian recalled visiting multiple times when discussing close sect matters such as the Yin Iron.

He glanced up at Lan Wangji, then gestured to his own Qiankun pouch, silently asking: 'Is this about the Yin Iron?'"

Lan Wangji nodded, and Wei Wuxian's shoulders quickly relaxed. Lan Qiren and Lan Xichen were both looking at them very expectantly, so rather than beating around the bush, Wei Wuxian decided to start outright: "Have you heard of the Yin Iron?"