Waterborne Abyss - Part three

Revised 07/08/22

no one:
literally no one: every dark!harry fanfic be like

Also this is another double update so if you haven't read the last chapter, you should probably head out and do that lol

* * *

The faint remnants of a dream tickled Wei Wuxian's thoughts like a distant memory of his childhood with his faceless, unreachable parents. As he came to, the small residual wisps of resentful energy remained, becoming one with the water he was enveloped in.

All was silent; his senses were somehow blocked, rendering him unable to see, hear or feel anything. And then, as if pulling him back to reality, something clasped around his bare leg, squeezing and squeezing until he was crying out in pain.

Wei Wuxian tried to tear off the entity with his fingernails but to no avail. He contributed to flail—to struggle until he felt multiple hands all over his body as he was pulled deeper into the dark water.

"Come, Wei Wuxian!" It hissed tauntingly.

"We're lonely without you, don't you see?"

"Come with us! We'll keep you safe... We'll protect you!"

"You belong here!"

"Come!"

"Come!"

"Join us!"

"Wei Wuxian!"

Wei Wuxian gasped loudly, inhaling masses of water in his throat as he did so, which made him gag and break into relentless coughs.

"Stop!" He mentally roared, channeling out his voice using the very resentful energy he was fighting against. "Shut up! You shut up!"

He thrashed and flailed and screamed and wailed, but the energy continued to persist and held him in place. It trailed across his body, it ate at his sanity, it invaded his body, forcing itself through his mouth and nose.

The feeling was almost intoxicating, however, and left Wei Wuxian breathless. It felt like he was home—where he truly belonged. It was just so, so familiar and Wei Wuxian felt more whole—more complete than ever.

Wei Wuxian lifted his arm, about to force the surrounding darkness into submission, but came to a halt when he saw a familiar white ribbon dance into view.

He was roughly hauled out of the water by a strong grip with a loud splash, and Wei Wuxian desperately inhaled the air he had been deprived of like a starved man being given food.

When his eyes finally opened and adjusted to the light, Wei Wuxian was greeted with the ethereal sight of Lan Wangji, his robes fluttering with the fierce movement of the wind and his eyes a fluorescent gold as bright as the sun.

Wei Wuxian gasped, although his sore throat was further injured by the action. "Lan Zhan?"

Lan Wangji glanced down, golden eyes met silver. "Mm?"

"Thank you," Wei Wuxian whispered with a small smile. "Thank you.."

"You're welcome."