Theory - Part one

Revised 09/06/22

This update took so long because, like... Idk tbh I hated this chapter so I decided to rewrite it into something entirely new :)

Quick question: Would you like a double update? The next chapter is already written and I just need to quickly go over it..

* * *

Of course, being both the Lan Sect's first young master and heir, exposed to gossip left and right, Lan Xichen had eventually heard of the rumours circulating the sect.

These rumours, of course, were about Wei Wuxian; who else would they be about if not he?

It is said that he is the spawn of the infamous Cangse Sanren, Lan Qiren's childhood sweetheart (Lan Qiren would like to vehemently deny those ridiculous claims!) and his mischievous nature was inevitably inherited from his mother.

Lan Xichen, of course, as the head gossiper of Gusu and best friend of Nie Huaisang, the head gossiper of Qinghe, had heard of the rumours (thanks to a certain best friend). His curiously inevitably got the best of him, so he decided to investigate the matter himself (again, with a certain best friend).

"Huaisang, isn't this just spying?" Lan Xichen remarked as they peered into the Library Pavilion's windows. "You said we would be investigating.."

"It is investigating, Brother Xichen," Nie Huaisang refuted. "Spying is when you dress in black. We aren't dressed in black."

"I see," replied the Lan. "But we are still eavesdropping. And eavesdropping is breaking one of the three thousand and fifty three rules."

"Wasn't it three thousand and fifty one?"

"Uncle added a couple more this morning."

"Ah," Nie Huaisang shuffled in his spot, careful not to make any noise as he said, "We aren't eavesdropping, though? Eavesdropping requires the intent to hear and later exposure of the information spoken. We aren't eavesdropping if our intentions are not to hear their conversation."

"Huaisang, sometimes I wonder how you think of such... amazing things," Lan Xichen replied. "Oh, wait, look—Young Master Wei is finally doing something."

"Huh? What's he doing?"

"He's...!! Oh, he's just dozing off, my bad."

"Why are we here again?"

"Beats me."

Nie Huaisang queried, "Hey, brother Xichen–why isn't Wangji-Xiong awakening Wei-Xiong and demanding he see through with a punishment? And why is he... stop right there, mind, Lan Wangji is NOT staring at Wei Wuxian fondly and is NOT pining for Wei-Xiong!"

Lan Xichen replied, "Deep breaths, Huaisang. Deep breaths."

"But— brother Xichen, don't tell me you can't see it too..!"

Lan Xichen sighed, "I do, Huaisang, I do, but we may be misreading Wangji's expression here-"

"He's stroking Wei-Xiong's head, brother Xichen." Nie Huaisang interjected rather calmly.

"It's not stroking, it's caressing and oh— he is...!! Wangji, to think you hold such a deep rooted affection for this Young Master whom you met only days ago!"

"Did you not notice the way he stares at Wei-Xiong during the lectures?"

"No, I did not, but that's a very valid point, Huaisang."